Weekends are tricky with little kids. We’re always trying to make them fun and adventurous, and at the same time not too busy or too stressful. Here are 10 ideas that work well for us. I’d love to hear your ideas as well! And if you need even more activities for kids check out our other website: Childhood Magic.
1. Find a photo booth and take photos.
2. Make a picnic. This is Nova’s number one favorite thing to do, whether it’s outdoors or even in our home. Haha.
3. Make art. I try to do at least one art project each weekend, even if it’s just sidewalk chalk or our favorite—cutting paper (yes, literally just letting Nova cut paper with kids scissors).
Don’t overcomplicate it—it doesn’t have to be an elaborate project from Pinterest every single time! Kids just like to make stuff. You can use things you already have 90% of the time—I promise! Here are tons of FREE printables you can use for activities or coloring.
4. Go to the farmer’s market. Our favorite Saturday morning treat. Nova loves to get mini donuts and carry her own little basket around.
5. Have a dance party. Everyone must dance. Everyone gets to choose a song. Bonus points if you get out your “party blanket” to dance on. Haha.
6. Clean the house together. There is literally nothing cuter than a 3-year-old trying to help clean. Augh!!
7. Trade photos with another family. One of the BEST ideas we had was to trade taking photos with each other with our friends’ family. We take their photos, they take our photos—everyone gets cute photos for free! Low pressure too! Photoshoots are so much pressure with little kids.
8. Go to the library. We started going every Saturday and it’s so much fun. We return our books and get new ones every week. Nova loves it and it’s something we do alone together every week, so we’re making memories too.
9. Build a fort. It makes a big mess, but it’s so worth it and so magical. Make sure you let your kiddo incorporate all their quirky ideas to make the best fort ever!
10. Plan something seasonal. Pick flowers, collect fall leaves, get hot chocolate. Find something special to do that’s specific to the current season!
I’d love to hear your ideas! Here’s 25 Things To Do With Kiddos When Stuck At Home for more inspiration! xx. Elsie