Have you jumped on the witch hazel train? I don’t even know if such a train exists, but if it does, I’m here for it. 😉 I LOVE my multi-use products, especially when it comes to beauty goods. I mean, who can get enough of coconut oil, essential oil and witch hazel?! I am celebrating all the ways you make our lives better and give us healthy, nontoxic options!
So what is witch hazel exactly? Witch hazel is a plant and comes from the leaves and bark of the witch hazel shrub, which is made into an astringent or hydrosol. It has been used throughout history especially for its benefits on the skin. Basically it’s magical, and partnered with a few of its best friends like essential oils, water and coconut oil, you can do SO much to improve your beauty routine with nontoxic DIYs!
Here are just 10 of my favorite tips and tricks for using witch hazel in my beauty routine:
2. Acne Treatment – Combine some witch hazel with a little bit of melaleuca (tea tree) oil on a cotton ball and apply to problem areas.
3. Razor Burn – Apply to skin after shaving to help prevent razor burn and ingrown hair!
4. Linen Spray – Add to a 2oz spritz bottle along with a few drops of your favorite essential oil and spritz anytime you want to freshen your air or linens. I love combining cedarwood and orange essential oils for this recipe! Peach witch hazel is such a yummy addition to this recipe!
5. Jewelry Cleaner – Use a toothbrush to apply witch hazel to give your jewelry a shine.
6. Nail Polish Thinner – Is your favorite color getting a little goopy? Add a few drops of witch hazel to thin out your polish and give it new life!
7. Makeup Priming Water – Love the Smashbox priming water? Dupe your own with 5 tablespoons of witch hazel, 3 tablespoons of glycerine, and a few drops of lavender and cedarwood essential oils. Spray on your face before applying makeup for a beautiful finish and lasting stay.
8. Makeup Remover – Combine 1 cup of hot water, 2 tablespoons of fractionated coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of your favorite gentle cleanser, 1 teaspoon of witch hazel and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Add to a mason jar and pack in cotton rounds to soak in the mixture. Pull out cotton rounds and use to remove makeup as needed! Yas!
9. Mermaid Hair – Add alcohol free witch hazel to a 2oz bottle with a few drops of lavender, cedarwood and rosemary. Apply to damp hair and work into scalp for happy, healthy hair! Bonus: Add an adorable decal to your finished recipe!
10. Cooling Summer Spray – Cool your skin and relieve sunburns! Fill a 2oz spray bottle 80% with water. Add in 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, 20 drops of peppermint and 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Feels incredible during the summertime!
I just kept this post to 10 of my favorite ways to use witch hazel, but there are seriously countless ways to use this magical elixir. Just give Pinterest a good search, and you will be adding SO many recipes to your “to make” list!
Also, while plain and simple witch hazel is amazing, I love finding witch hazels infused with beautiful smells like peach, rose and aloe vera. They smell AMAZING!
Have any favorite witch hazel uses or recipes to share? Feel free to comment below with your favorites!! With love, Sav.