We took a long weekend trip to visit our old stomping grounds of Springfield, Missouri this weekend. We lived in Springfield for a long time (me 12 years and Todd for 15) so we had quite a list of food places to hit and check off all our food cravings and it was so fun to take Lola to all our favorite spots as well. I also hadn’t been to the newer A Beautiful Mess/A Color Story offices since we moved, so we took Lola up there to check it out and she decided to help them out by rearranging their pens and markers and rotating some of the big rocks in their planters—HA! Here’s what else I’m loving this week …
1. I’m thinking about getting something like this for Lola to grow into over the next few years. While she’s definitely too young to pretend that she is cooking (or really know what that is), she does enjoy all things pots and pans, play food items, and cabinet doors, so I think there’s still a lot of fun that she can have as she realizes what it is. I’ll probably just start her with this and this and add more items as she grows.
3. We used to make this kind of frozen pie every summer growing up and while I usually don’t do much dairy/sugar, it sounds so good to me this week. Using strawberry or key-lime yogurt is my favorite way to make it!
4. It’s been so fun playing with the new Hologram effects pack that I helped create for the A Color Story app and using it on my instagram photos—pastel rainbows and iridescent glitter are a bit of an obsession for me, so it’s definitely a look that’s right up my alley (I used the Aurora Borealis filter on the photo above)!
5. Like I said, we were visiting our Springfield friends last weekend and it was so heartwarming for us to watch Lola interact with all the other kids that have been born into our extended family of friends. A lot of them aren’t too far apart in age so it’s kind of amusing to watch them all practice learning to be gentle and use “soft hands” with each other (i.e. basically, they all take turns bonking each other on the head at some point in between playing sweetly). It’s really helpful for me to watch other parents/nanny friends kindly interact with kids so I can pick up tips to use in our house as well. I mean, I’m certainly no expert at this parenting thing, so I’ll steal all the tips I can!
6. Love the ruffles and rainbow stripes on this look.
7. I started reading this book this week and while I’m only about 1/3 of the way through, it has so many good thoughts that I think a lot of mothers need to hear. My husband loved her book on the father/daughter relationship so I thought I’d give her book for moms a try and I’m really glad I did. Moms need so much support to do such a difficult (yet rewarding!) job and she really helps show how to sift through what is and isn’t important and how we can enjoy parenting to the fullest while maintaining as much sanity as possible along the way.
8. ERMAHGERD, this bed!!
9. Easy summer dresses are great to have on hand for an easy way to look put together without much effort—just add sandals and go!
10. Thinking about getting something like this so I can do some laps at the park after work with Lola in tow and try and get some exercise back into my life! I’m not a very fast runner and I usually combine it with speed walking to vary the pace, but just getting outside and moving more at the same time has been a goal of mine that I’d like to actually accomplish this summer. Anyone else have a jogging stroller they love?
While traveling is fun, it’s also a lot of work so we’ll just be getting back into our usual rhythm this week and hopefully finding time for some relaxation as well. Make the most of summer while you can! xo. Laura