Let’s face it—if you are giving a gift card to someone, even if it’s to a store they will be really excited to shop at, it still feels a little lackluster when you hand it over to them. Maybe it’s the small size, maybe it’s because there’s not usually much to unwrap, but either way it’s a process that could use a bit of a makeover, don’t you think? Well worry about boring-gift-card-giving no more! Here are 5 creative ways to give your loved ones the gift card of your choice with a little bit more thoughtful fun thrown in.
1. Attach a related item to the gift card. I know that technically this is attaching a small actual gift to the gift card, but this is a great way to add a little excitement to the process (and it gives them something they can use right away!). You could tie art supplies to a craft store card, put a cosmetics store card in a makeup bag, a coffee card in a cute mug—the possibilities are endless!
2. Make a gift card snow globe! I know for sure that my jaw would drop a little if someone gave me one of these. Just glue or tape your card and trees to the underside of your jar lid in an upright position, add some snow, and reattach the jar. So cute!
3. Give your gift card an animal companion! I don’t know if you’ve seen this pin that’s been floating around lately, but I think it’s the perfect idea to dress up a gift card. For whatever reason, small plastic animals have a magical quality to them, and having them deliver your gift card for you is sure to bring a smile to the recipient’s face. Isn’t that dappled horse just the best?
4. Make a handmade felt envelope. If you are choosing a gift card mainly for the size (like if you are mailing the gift card or flying for the holidays and space is at a premium), consider making your own gift card envelope out of felt. If you cut 4″ wide circles out of felt (glitter vinyl works quite well too), you can overlap the inner halves of the circles and hot glue them together. Then, to close your envelope, simply make small slits in the flaps to tie string through, or hold the flaps shut and wrap string around the envelope to close. It’s a quick and easy way to add a homemade touch to the card.
5. Turn your small box into a friendly face! All you need is a bit of extra paper and some paint/markers to turn your gift box into a cute animal face. You get extra points if you can make an animal that your gift card recipient is already obsessed with (for us that’s pugs and cats)!
There you have it! You now have 5 ways to add a little fun to your next gift card exchange. Which option do you think you’ll go with? xo. Laura
Credits // Author and Photography: Laura Gummerman. Photos edited with Stella from the Signature Collection.