Hi, friends! As a beauty junkie and someone who wants to practice being more mindful of the products I buy and the amount of waste I produce, I wanted to share a list of a few of my favorite sustainable beauty brands. If you’re on a zero-waste journey, or just want to add more eco-conscious brands to your makeup bag, keep reading to learn about my go-to low-waste beauty brands.
1. Nopalera Moisturizing Botanical Bar: This lotion bar not only smells like a creamsicle, but is made with 100% natural ingredients including prickly pear oil and cocoa butter—AND comes in the prettiest aluminum tin that can be recycled or reused to store things like trinkets, spices, or candy.
2. Axiology Balmies: These lid-to-lip crayons come in tons of beautiful shades. I have the champagne color that I like to use on the inner corner of my eyes for a pop of highlight. What’s awesome about this product is that it comes in zero-waste packaging, meaning that it was made without a plastic tube or cap. Instead, the crayon is wrapped in paper and comes in a fully compostable box.
3. Kjaer Weis Powder: I’ve long considered Kjaer Weis the Rolls Royce of the green beauty world because their products are so luxurious. Not to mention their sustainable packaging is absolutely swoon-worthy. Their refillable powder and cream products come in sleek metal packaging or a show-stopping red case that is 100% recyclable and made from paper. You can order a refill when you run out.
4. Ere Perez Tapioca Blush: Ere Perez is another makeup brand that I really love. Their mascara and cream color pots are always in my makeup bag. I also frequently use the Tapioca Blush which now comes in a refillable package, making repurchase that much easier—and more cost-efficient.
5. Cheekbone Beauty Sustain Lipstick: I’ve raved about Cheekbone beauty before because the shade Kéyah is one of my go-to lip colors. Not only does the company make stunning products, but they are also committed to becoming a carbon-neutral beauty brand. All of the lipsticks in the Sustain range are packaged using 85% less plastic and biodegradable paper, with goals to make the products completely zero-waste by 2023.
6. LastSwab Basic: I use a lot of Q-tips so I was excited when I learned about LastObject, a brand committed to ending single-use items. The LastSwab is meant to be reused up to 1,000 times and can be cleaned with soap and water. I’ll admit that it did take some time to get used to the new texture of the swab. But once I did, it felt nice to know that I was helping to minimize my trash consumption. These swabs come in a variety of colors and are packaged in a biodegradable carrying case made from corn.
7. Myro Deodorant: Myro deodorant may just be the prettiest deodorant on the market. This aloe-based deodorant comes in a variety of colors and scents, so there are lots of options to choose from. Plus, the customizable and recyclable refill system helps keep single-use plastic out of landfills. The brand is helping people take care of their bodies and the world—one deodorant stick at a time. Pro tip: Make sure to read all of the ingredients before trying a new deodorant to make sure the formula is right for you.
This is just a small list of my favorite low-waste beauty brands to support, but you can make an impact in any area of your life. From buying vintage clothing to using reusable straws, or even bringing your own coffee cup to a café, there are so many simple ways that we can start to be more mindful of our consumption.
I read this quote by the zero-waste Chef Anne-Marie Bonneau that says, “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly.” Every little bit makes a huge impact, even starting with a low-waste approach. What’s your favorite way to be a more thoughtful consumer?