Caprese salad is a super simple salad made of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. I usually think of it as a summer salad, when tomatoes are in season where I live.
But, this is the Christmas version—formed into a candy cane design for a fun and festive take on this classic salad.
Related: Antipasto Wreath Christmas Appetizer
Caprese Salad Ingredients:
- Tomatoes – the more flavorful and fresh the better
- Fresh Mozzarella – I like to slice this myself to get the thickness I prefer
- Basil – The leaves can stay whole or you can chop them up to sprinkle over the salad
- Olive Oil & Salt – to drizzle and sprinkle over the top before serving
Tips for Making Caprese Salad:
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella a similar thickness for a uniform serving look.
- You can still achieve this candy cane look even if you choose to chop the items into cubes or smaller pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle on a little flaky sea salt just before serving.
Although this salad is great on its own, here are some things you might want to serve it with:
- Toasted bread or baguette
- Homemade Focaccia
- Hot Pepper Oil – how to infuse olive oil
- Naan or pita bread
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1 log mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 leaves basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- Wash and slice the tomatoes into thin pieces, removing any steam areas as needed.
- Slice the mozzarella into thin or thick pieces depending on your preference.
- Leave the basil leaves whole or chop into small pieces.
- Arrange the ingredients in a candy cane design.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle on sea salt before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.