As the weather finally begins to cool down, it’s got me in the mood to make soup! I actually put “Make a lot of soup” on my autumn bucket list this year and I’m starting in on that goal strong this week with this dairy-free broccoli cheddar soup. Get ready for a big serving of vegetables while still getting all the comfort of warm, creamy soup. Yum!
I am all for decadent, cheesy, cream-filled soups from time to time. But more often than not, what I really aim for when I’m making soup at home is a few key things:
-Healthy: Meaning mostly plant-based and full of good-for-you ingredients
-At least 3-4 servings so I can enjoy it (Trey too) and still have leftovers for a few quick lunches that week
-Easy to make, like, it needs to take around 30 minutes or less.
This dairy-free broccoli cheddar totally fits the bill. There are a few ways to make delicious and still creamy-like soups without dairy. Of course, you can always throw in some vegan cheese you might find at the grocery store, but for this soup I utilize cashews and some nutritional yeast to give this soup both texture and flavor like broccoli cheddar soup should be. I also love the added protein that both of these ingredients bring. Win-win!
And if you like dairy-free soup recipes, be sure to check out my 10-Minute Creamy Tomato Soup because it’s also one of those soups that I make over and over again because it fits all my soup criteria. 🙂
Maybe after dinner follow it up with this dairy-free vanilla ice cream? What are you favorite soups? I’d love to hear, and I’d especially love a link if the recipe is available online because I plan to make lots more soup this coming season. Thanks in advance! xo. Emma
Love soup? Check out our most popular soup recipes!
For more recipes like this one, don’t forget to subscribe!
Get creative ideas for recipes, crafts, decor, and more in your inbox!
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli (approx. 260 grams)
- 2 carrots (or 10 baby carrots, approx. 50 grams)
- 1 russet potato
- 1 shallot
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup cashews
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk
- big pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, chopped broccoli, chopped carrots, and peeled and cubed potato. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook over medium to high heat. After a minute add the chopped shallot and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and cashews and cook another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, reduce the heat to low, and over the pot. Allow to simmer for 18-22 minutes until the potatoes are soft enough that you can easily cut them with a wood spoon (or whatever you stir your soup with).
- Add the nutritional yeast and blend the soup well. You can do this either in a blender or with an immersion blender. Then stir in the milk, add the cayenne, and season with salt and pepper to taste.