This apple dumpling recipe is super quick and easy to make using crescent roll dough and just a handful of other ingredients.
Apple dumplings can feel as special as apple pie with each individual pocket of pastry and baked apple being so delicious!
If your family went apple picking recently and you need more apple recipes to attempt, you should try this easy apple dumpling one.
You can find many more sweet treats in our desserts archive.
Apple Dumpling Ingredients:
- Apples – any baking apple works great in this recipe. (I used Granny Smith)
- Crescent rolls
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make Apple Dumplings:
Making this apple dumpling recipe is similar to the process of making cinnamon rolls. You’ll create a butter/sugar/spice mixture and spread it over the crescent roll dough. Then, roll up each piece of prepared apple.
I like to bake these in a pie pan. And in about 30 minutes you’ll have apple dumplings! You can serve these with whipped cream, ice cream, or all on their own.
Tips for Success:
- Make sure to lightly butter the pie pan before use.
- Brush any leftover butter/sugar/spice mixture over the tops of the dumplings before baking.
- The heavy whipping cream keeps the rolls soft and almost chewy, like a Cinnabon cinnamon roll.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet before putting in the oven to catch any juices that may bubble out during baking.
More Apple Recipes:
If you like these apple dumplings, then I know you’ll love these recipes:
- Easy Apple Pie Bars
- Baked Apple Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar
- Candy Apples
- Whole Wheat Applesauce Waffles
- Spiced Bourbon Apple Pie
Frequently Asked Questions
What apples are best for apple dumplings?
Any baking apple will work great. My favorite is Granny Smith because I like the sourness balanced with the sugar.
How do you core an apple without a corer?
For this apple dumpling recipe, after you peel the apples, you can cut them into six segments. Then, use a knife to remove the core area from each.
Can you freeze apple dumplings?
Yes. Be sure to allow them to thaw before reheating in the oven or air fryer.
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
Get the Recipe
- 2 apples
- 2 packages crescent rolls
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whipping cream (heavy)
- Peel the apples and cut into six segments. Then, cut out the core areas.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Roll out the crescent roll dough. Spread the butter mixture over it (dividing by the two packages).
- Roll a segment of apple in each crescent roll segment.
- Lightly butter a pie pan and add the prepared pieces to the pan.
- If you have any leftover butter mixture, brush this over the tops of the dumplings once in the pan.
- Drizzle the heavy whipping cream over the top, aiming for the cracks so the liquid gets underneath the dumplings.
- Bake at 350°F for 28-30 minutes. Cover the pan with aluminum foil for the first 15 minutes of baking.
- If your apples are on the smaller side, you may need three apples instead of two for this recipe.
- Place the pie pan on a large baking sheet before putting in the oven to catch any juices that may bubble out during baking.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Made this today with honeycrisp apples and it was easy and delicious!!
Oh my gosh this is totally new to me! I did go Apple picking and I have tons, tons! To use up. I can’t wait to try these!
I love these apple dumplings
wowwww this looks incredible Em!