Sometimes you just want a sleek and simple style—like not too simple and not too dressy, but just right. This is a super easy way to be able to go from work to events to parties to … whatever!
I love this staircase braid because you have tons of options to get creative with. Plus, it looks a lot more complex than it is. So everyone is always impressed! Check out how I did this braid on Emma.
Related: 25+ Easy Hair Tutorials For Any Occasion
1. So, I started out by doing a simple and sleek low ponytail down the center, parting wherever you prefer and securing with a hair tie or elastic, depending on how thick your hair is.
2. Next, I took a small strand from the pony and wrapped it around the hair tie to hide it. Don’t secure this strand quite yet!
3. Keeping that same strand, I created a loop with two fingers just big enough to wrap the tail of the strand around the ponytail and through the loop, kind of like tying a knot!
4. You’ll then want to gather a new strand from the ponytail and add it into your previous strand, creating one longer piece.
5. Next, create a new loop, wrap your strand around the pony and pull in through the loop.
Continue steps 2-5 until you have either run out of hair to work with, or whenever you want! It’s your braid and you can do what you want with it!
Once I’ve reached the end of my braid, I then simply secure the end with a clear elastic. You can choose to wrap a small piece of hair around it to hide it too, if you’d like.
Viola! Easy, right? I love that as you’re forming this braid, it creates a really pretty staircase effect. If you take strands from around the pony, instead of just one side, I love that it becomes more of a spiral staircase look, too.
When you’re done with this braid, you can try adding some wave or texture to the hair left out, like with Emma’s, to give it even more of a polished finish. Try it out! 🙂 – Erin
To be honest, I’ve never heard of a staircase braid before. I’m definitely going to try it!
This braid looks gorgeous and super easy to make. Thanks for sharing.
This is so sleek and lovely! I’d never heard of it before. Did you create it yourself?
Debs @ tiger-mint.com
What an extraordinary braid, now I wish I had long hair to try it out!
So pretty!! I’m not sure if I could do this on my own hair, but it sure is lovely!
Eva | www.shessobright.com
Looks like I’m not alone in never seeing a staircase braid before! It is so unique! I bet this would make a gorgeous braid bun too, pinned nicely to keep the shape!
I’ve never even heard of this braid! Seems like the fishtail’s cool older cousin. Adding this to my “must try” hairdos list!
This is stunning! I really want to try this out, I know it’ll take some practice but I want to master this! Thank you for sharing!
I’m going to try to attempt this on my sister’s hair for a party she has this weekend! Thanks for sharing!
I’ve never seen hair braided this way before! It’s cute. 🙂
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog