Sometimes you just want a sleek and simple style—like not too simple and not too dressy, but just right. This is a super easy way to be able to go from work to events to parties to … whatever! I love this staircase braid because you have tons of options to get creative with. Plus, it looks a lot more complex than it is. So everyone is always impressed! Check out how I did this braid on Emma:
1. So, I started out by doing a simple and sleek low ponytail down the center, parting wherever you prefer and securing with a hair tie or elastic, depending on how thick your hair is.
2. Next, I took a small strand from the pony and wrapped it around the hair tie to hide it. Don’t secure this strand quite yet!
3. Keeping that same strand, I created a loop with two fingers just big enough to wrap the tail of the strand around the ponytail and through the loop, kind of like tying a knot!
4. You’ll then want to gather a new strand from the ponytail and add it into your previous strand, creating one longer piece.
5. Next, create a new loop, wrap your strand around the pony and pull in through the loop.
Continue steps 2-5 until you have either run out of hair to work with, or whenever you want! It’s your braid and you can do what you want with it!
Once I’ve reached the end of my braid, I then simply secure the end with a clear elastic. You can choose to wrap a small piece of hair around it to hide it too, if you’d like.
Viola! Easy, right? I love that as you’re forming this braid, it creates a really pretty staircase effect. If you take strands from around the pony, instead of just one side, I love that it becomes more of a spiral staircase look, too.
When you’re done with this braid, you can try adding some wave or texture to the hair left out, like with Emma’s, to give it even more of a polished finish. Try it out! 🙂 – Erin
Looking for more hair tutorials? Check out 25+ Easy Hair Tutorials for Any Occasion!