The concept is simply this—we take 8 pieces of clothing and make 8 different looks with those pieces. Shoes and accessories don't count. The goal of this feature is to inspire confidence and ideas to stretch your wardrobe farther! Fun right?
The pieces I picked out from my own closet for this post are—1. Awful Tank Top 2. High Waisted Denim Shorts 3. Yellow Kimono 4. Dot Sweater (from Target a few years ago) 5. Gingham Blazer 6. Black Pleated Skirt 7. Black Bodycon Dress 8. Black Crop Top
And here are the outfits I came up with—
1. This outfit is casual and fun. I would wear it pretty much anywhere from brunch to a day out with my mom or a casual weeknight pizza date (I'm fantasizing about the pizza a little…). I love the trend of big, breezy kimonos. I've collected them in many colors and fabric types. They're just a really easy way to add color and style to a plain jane outfit.
3. Okay, so, the thing I dislike most about this time of year is when it's warming up outside, some businesses and restaurants WAY overcompensate with the AC. So you are constantly going from hot to freezing throughout the day. For this reason I pretty much always carry a cardigan or light sweater in my purse/car.
Light sweaters with shorts and skirts are one of my favorite outfits. Dress it up with a fun necklace and sunnies.
4. I have a major weakness for crop tops, but they're not always appropriate for every occasion. But I've found that with one extra layer added (like a blazer or kimono), they become a lot more versatile. I love how that extra piece can take an outfit from "a little too bare?" to pulled together.
ps—gold heels go with everything!
5. One of my favorite simple silhouettes. I love a comfy top with a fun short skirt. It can be dressed up with heels or become more casual. Some days (you know the ones) comfort takes priority over fashion and this is one of my go-to looks for those days. Hey—it's cuter than yoga pants!
6. Layering tight pieces can make them look more easygoing and casual. This black bodycon is a little fancy feeling (even though it's just an inexpensive and super comfy jersey dress). It's definitely a date night dress, but when I layer this funny tank over the top and give it little knot, it becomes instantly casual and easygoing. Magic!
7. Ah! I love yellow! Another easy outfit is this bodycon with a bright kimono on top. It's fun and feels put together, but it's also an outfit you can throw on in 5 seconds as you're running out the door!
And on that note, did you know this Ban.do watermelon purse is actually a cooler!
Accessories and shoes links: Tortoise Cat Sunnies, White Birkenstocks, Red Clogs, Colorful Necklace, Stripe Sunnies, Cat Eye Sunnies, Gold Clogs, Plus Sign Hat, Bucket Bag (in brown, white seems to be out of stock), Watermelon Bag.
Thanks so much for reading! I really hope you guys are excited that we're bringing back this feature. It's a lot of fun to put together, and it honestly makes me feel inspired to mix things up more in my own closet! xx- Elsie
Credits// Author: Elsie Larson, Photography: Emma Chapman. Photos edited with A Beautiful Mess Actions.