Italian Cream Soda is a nostalgic and delicious treat. My kids really enjoyed this recipe and it brought back pleasant memories for me! Making your own Italian Soda at home is fun, budget friendly and there are endless ways to customize flavors.
The name Italian Soda suggests it originated in Italy, but this treat was created in the U.S. by the syrup company Torani. Rinaldo and Ezilda Torre named their soda water and flavored syrup creation “Italian Soda” in 1925.
Ingredients in an Italian Soda
- Sparkling Water – Use club soda, La Croix or any kind of sparkling water.
- Flavored Syrup – Choose any flavor you like. I used strawberry.
- Ice – Pebble ice is great if you have it.
- Heavy Cream – Add cream and it becomes a “Cream Soda.” You can also use whipped cream if you like.
- Fresh Fruit – An optional topping.
How to Make an Italian Cream Soda
Fill a glass with ice. Add flavored syrup. Top with sparkling water. Add heavy cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve immediately with a straw. I love these glass straws.
Tips for Making
- Collect your favorite syrups. There are so many fun flavors like toasted marshmallow, blue raspberry, pistachio or lime. Have fun with it.
- You can substitute the heavy cream for oat milk or coconut coffee creamer for a vegan option.
- These are the glasses and glass straws that I use and love.
Italian Soda Variation Ideas
1. Creamy Italian Soda: To add a creamy twist to your Italian Soda, substitute regular sparkling water with cream soda or mix half-and-half. This variation will give your drink a richer and sweeter texture.
2. Fruity Fusion: Mix two or more flavored syrups together to create exciting fruit fusions.
3. Mocktail Magic: Create mocktail versions of popular cocktails by using flavored syrups that mimic classic cocktail flavors, such as mojito, piña colada, or margarita.
4. Fresh Herb Infusions: Enhance the flavors of your Italian Soda by infusing it with fresh herbs like mint, basil, or thyme. Muddle the herbs gently before adding the syrup and sparkling water.
Serving Suggestions/Goes Great With
Other recipes you may like:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Italian Soda?
An Italian Soda is a drink made of club soda and flavored syrup. It is often served with cream (also called “Italian cream soda”) and fresh fruit.
When was the Italian Soda invented?
It was created in 1925 by Rinaldo and Ezilda Torre.
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 1 ounce flavored syrup
- 1½ cups ice
- 8 ounces sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 strawberry (optional garnish )
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add flavored syrup.
- Top with sparkling water.
- Add heavy cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve immediately with a straw.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.