Becoming a better photographer doesn’t happen overnight! It’s something that takes time and lots of practice! Today I’m here to share with you 10 things not to do. Kelli and I created this list based on mistakes we first made when we first started photographing. These are 10 common mistakes that you don’t want to make. Enjoy!
1. Use Auto Flash ALL The Time Oh no no no no. This is a common mistake that is so easy to fix! Just turn off your automatic flash. See how in the above examples the auto flash makes the photo look flat and washed out, don’t let this happen to your photos! Natural light is lovely, so take advantage of it!
2. Ignore Your Color Story and Composition How many times have you seen a photo with a super distracting background? The above example is a little extreme, but always be sure to choose backgrounds that compliment the people or objects in your photos! Choose a color that makes your color story stronger, not more busy.
3. Plan To Crop Everything Later Kelli told me over and over that she never has to crop a photo in photoshop because she always composes photos exactly how she wants them through the viewfinder. I love this challenge! When you compose a photo how you want it, you will get the best point of focus and a stronger image than if you crop everything later.
4. Pose In Direct Sunlight This is something you should never do, if you can avoid it! Unless, of course you want a photo that looks something like this…
Wow! So unflattering. Now, There are ways to make sunlight work for you but this is most definitely not it! Direct sunlight has ruined many pretty photos, so don’t let it ruin yours! Read more in our articles about tips for outdoor photography and working with backlight and sun flare.
5. Ignore The Details… They’re Not Important It’s easy to forget to snap photos of little details in our day to day lives. Below is a collage of some of my favorite small moments over the past few years. Don’t ignore the details! Be intentional about capturing them on camera. They might just turn out to be some of your favorite memories.
6. Copy Someone Else….Exactly A lot of young photographers make the mistake of being “too inspired” by another photographer. Sometimes people don’t even mean to “copy” but it doesn’t make it ok. Copying someone you admire is awkward for you and for them… it’s just no good. It’s ok to be inspired by other people, but don’t use their exact ideas and compositions! Create something fresh and beautiful that you can be proud to call your own.
7. Post Every Photo You Took Today Have you ever seen someone upload every single photo from their holiday on Facebook? It kinda feels like they didn’t take the time to go through and pick the best ones. Don’t do this. Posting too many repeat photos takes attention away from your best photos. Take the time to choose your favorite photos before you hit the upload button!
8. Take Photos Exclusively At Night I used to be one of those people who took ALL my DIY photos at night because I just didn’t have time to do it during the day. See the above example for what a huge difference some natural light can make. Both photos were taken without the flash on auto settings. There will, of course, always be instances where night photos are necessary- like a party or event. These days, if I have a choice I will ALWAYS take my blog photos during the daylight. Even if it means I have to wake up an hour earlier or rearrange my schedule it’s very worth it!
9. Stick With What You Know Don’t forget to branch out. As a photographer I always go through phases where I learn a new skill and then use it a whole lot. Sometimes I get in a rut where I don’t try new things for a long time. I think it’s important to never stop learning. I do better work when I’m actively learning new things and challenging myself. What about you?
10. Post Your Photos To Facebook & Never Look Back One of the saddest things about living in the digital age is that many people no longer print out their memories! For the first few years of my dating relationship with Jeremy I made this very mistake. I realized that I was posting photos online, but not doing anything else with them. Since we’ve been married I’ve been making an effort to print photos out, order albums and frame photos in our home. I love this habit. It’s healthy and makes me more thankful for each and every memory when I see the photos. If you’re not in the habit of printing photos, order some today! I promise you’ll be happy you did.
Thanks for reading! I’ve had so much fun teaching photography lately! Thank you for all your kind comments. It’s fun to hear that some of you are super excited about photographing your life too!
I’m definitely guilty of a few of these! Thanks!
This is amazing! I love, love your style(s). It is great to hear helpful tips! (whew) 😀
Thanks for the great tips! They seem common knowledge, but if you’re a beginner at something, even the most basic things are new.
Great TIPS Girls, I used to print all my pictures but now everything is only digital… I love photography and I like to learn all that I can about it, so Thanks..!!! Xoxo
Ur blog is sooooooooooo helpful, I’ll def be reading this religiously ^_^ (especially ur photog and fashion posts). LOVE! Am now following 🙂
Would love it if you checked out my blog and followed, I’d be honored! 🙂
Thanks a lot for this wonderful tips!
Thank you for these great pointers, I’ve just gotten myself a new camera and really want to play around with it! I’m also going to order those photos! I have a house full of empty frames much to the amusement of my friends when they visit! x
I love all those tips! it’s always so helpful when they come from someone who knows what they’re doing(: but can i just say that the photo of you and emma in direct sunlight is adorable? your faces are priceless(;
so many great tips to meditate on and YES admittedly I have been making quite a few of these mistakes!!!! A big one for me was coming up with my own creative inspiration for a photo or shoot and I guess I was always comparing myself to the photographers I admired and now I realise that I was just dumping my own style. You have made me realise just how important it is to be ouselves when we take our photographs. Thank you!!
i really don’t know much about photography, and am guilty of a few of these (hello, nighttime photoshoots!). these are awesome tips and i have to keep them in mind the next time i use my camera!
I love this! Thnx so much~ I’m thinking of becoming a photographer and this helps so much~!
I love your blog! It’s so well organized and pleasing to the eye. I’m really appreciating all the great tips, too!
I am a brand new reader to your blog and I love it! Great practical info and beautiful blog design, especially the photography!
I am wondering if you could tell me how you printed the pics in tip 10 in the bottom left hand corner (square prints with great borders). I love it and would like to print some of mine in a similar fashion.
Thanks kindly! 🙂
These are great tips and makes me think about the mistakes I make when taking photos – esp. point 8! Thanks for sharing!
Great dont-do tips, thank you for sharing.
These are great tips that I will definitely keep in mind! 🙂 ♥
i would love some one on one time!!! im a mother of two beautiful girls and a wife. im just starting out and there is soooo much i need to learn. Please contact me if possible =)
really helpful, thank you…
come to FaShionRoLLa
Whoa alhogan prezziviare hogan 2012 cataclisma: MerchanHogan uomose Commercio all’prezzi hogangrosso Per hogan proprietà Sell Appartenente al più basso prezzo Hogan uomo phogantprezzi hoganoBirra alhogan spprezzi hogana soluzioni Hogan uomo movimentazione, nonché l’acquihogan prezzizione Hogan uomo un mprezzi hoganimo, che approvano nelhogan parte superiore delhogan vostra proprietà prezzi hogan venHogan uomota solo Wow è davvero un approccio altamente efficace per trovare hogan 2012 phogantprezzi hogano più Hogan uomo noi. Comunità. è prezzi hogancreHogan uomobhogan 2012mente potente che ti permette Hogan uomo fare prezzi hoganserire un bel po ‘Hogan uomo probabhogan 2012ità.Prima Hogan uomo prezzi hoganiziare a muovervi senza dubbio sehogan prezzizionato
1 ° compleanno di solito sono esclusiva in aggihoganta ad esso è meglio gioire theday da hogan approccio hogan quasi tutti i diritti esclusivi. E così, come hogan modo per moltiplicare questo resplendentaura occasione speciale, outlet hogan le persone sono probabilità di prosperare questo bymillions anima deliziato con il lussuoso avvalendosi di qualsiasi di ottenere hogan certo tipo di auto con autista o camion.