I’m totally a sucker for holiday twists on a classic item. I knew I wanted to get a little mini waffle maker for Saturday mornings and when I saw that this one also made a gingerbread man imprint, well, I knew I needed to make some spiced gingerbread waffles to go in it!
You basically just add in more brown sugar, molasses, and spices to get that gingerbread flavor, but wowie, it really makes them a special treat!
In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves together. Whisk to combine.
Add the eggs and brown butter to your flour mixture. Mix in your milk, vanilla extract, and molasses. Stir to combine then add in your melted and cooled butter. Don’t gold mixing bowls make baking feel a little more fancy?
Heat your oiled waffle iron and cook to preferred doneness! I noticed that you’ll want to leave these waffles in your iron longer than other batters as they take longer to get crispy if you want a crispy waffle (same thing happened in my bigger waffle iron when I made them in there).
So, check them often after your usual time until they are crispy enough for you (they will crisp up a bit as they cool).
Overall, these were a big hit here at our house, and I think these may be the perfect thing to show up on our Christmas brunch table as well this year (I love table settings with gold flatware as well).
If you are looking for a non-holiday specific mini waffle maker, they come in other colors, so you can make minis all year round (check out our other waffle recipes to try some more yummy flavors)! xo. Laura
If you’re making these for the holiday, we have lots of ideas for Sweet Brunch Recipes for the Holidays!
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 2⅓ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger (ground)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup molasses
- ½ cup melted butter (cooled)
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves together. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and brown butter to your flour mixture. Mix in your milk, vanilla extract, and molasses. Stir to combine.
- Add in your melted and cooled butter.
- Heat your oiled waffle iron and cook to preferred doneness!