A couple of months ago, I served Kate’s Vegetarian West African Peanut Soup for a wine pairing dinner I was hosting. I loved the soup and it was a big hit at the party! I think my main tweak was I wanted to make the soup a little bit thicker (I like a really thick, creamy soup most of the time) and I was aiming for something that I could make in a crock pot or slow cooker. So that was the inspiration behind this spicy peanut and wild rice soup.
I had tried other versions of West African peanut soup before and have always loved the combination of sweet potatoes and peanut butter. Yes, you read that right. There is peanut butter in this soup. And although that might sound a little strange, I promise it’s super delicious. In some ways, it kind of reminds me of spicy peanut sauce for spring rolls.
You simply throw in about half the ingredients to a crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours (you can cook on low for longer if that fits your schedule better). Then stir in the rest of the ingredients and blend some of the mixture (optional, but I like it this way) and BOOM—dinner is served.
I also found that this spicy peanut and wild rice soup makes great leftovers, so you could easily store in airtight containers in refrigerator and simply rewarm for easy lunches or dinners. This soup also freezes well in case you are in need of some freezer-friendly dinners at your house.
I like to top this with some fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts just before serving. The cilantro really sets the flavor off, but if cilantro isn’t your thing or you don’t have any, I think green onions or chives would be good as well. Enjoy! This is seriously one of my favorite soups lately (although you can also give my Wild Rice and Mushroom Risotto Soup a try!) Yum! xo. Emma
Spicy Peanut and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 sweet potato large
- 1 cup wild rice
- ½ onion yellow
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- 5 cloves garlic
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter creamy
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce like Sriracha
- salt and pepper
- cilantro and peanuts to serve
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and chop the onion into very small pieces. Finely mince the garlic and grate the ginger. In a large crock pot, add these ingredients along with the rice and vegetable stock. Cook on high for 3-3.5 hours until the rice is fully cooked.
- Remove about 1/3 of the mixture to a blender. I found that the sweet potatoes floated more than the rice, so I was able to easily capture more of those for the blender than the rice. Add the peanut butter, tomato paste, and hot sauce. Blend well. Then add this back into the crock pot and give that a good stir and allow everything to get nice and warm. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with some chopped cilantro and peanuts.