Hi friends! I hope your “weekend” has been good. What do you do on the weekend to make it feel like a real weekend these days? We’ve been doing pizza most Friday nights, but honestly, all days pretty much blend together. Anyway, I’d love to hear anything that is sparking joy in your life right now.
1. My favorite diaper bags are currently having a HUGE sale. I love the mini—I have it in brown and lilac. Thinking about adding gray. In my opinion, the mini is plenty big, by the way— people always ask me. I use it for my purse AND diaper/kid basics.
2. If you haven’t got your own face mask yet, we’re loving ours (I mean as much as you can love a mask—it is what it is). I love that they are doing buy one/give one.
3. We’re about to start our yearly blow up pool tradition, so I ordered a bunch of mom-suits (meaning swimsuits that my kids can’t rip off my body—moms know!) and this was my “keeper.”
I also got this dress, which I think I am going to wear for Mother’s Day next week. Our normal Mother’s Day “tradition” is going for hibachi (my favorite, lol), so this year I am thinking … fancy cheese picnic. Or some kind of porch meal, I guess! Let me know if you have any fun ideas!
4. We’re currently watching Westworld, what are you watching?
5. These are our favorite toddler shoes.
6. Planning to try this recipe soon.
7. I’ve started to add plants to our home, and plants on the wall are one of my favorites. Also hanging plants!
8. I’ve been picking out summer clothes for the girls and this print is my favorite.
9. We’re getting pretty settled into our new home now. I can’t believe it’s been two months this week. I’m excited to begin sharing room tours and projects with you this month … and all summer … and for the rest of the year I’m sure. It’s going to be fun!
10. I’ve definitely had some tough days lately, as we all have. It’s kind of cool to hear what completely random things help people cope. For me, it’s planning our decorations for Halloween and Christmas. I guess since we can’t plan any trips or much else right now, that is something I feel I *can* plan. But anyway, Jeremy saw me looking at Christmas trees and got a good laugh. Whatever helps!
If you’re in need of a happy hour this week, I highly recommend a scroll through our cocktail recipe archive. XX! Elsie
Tough days all round, but those cocktail recipes helped ???!
As an introvert and a homebody, I have been doing tremendously well in the last 7 weeks of “lockdown” (starting week 8). I work for the federal government of Canada so I’ve got a very stable, well paying job that has been paying me even though my actual job itself has been deemed non-essential (we’re trying to limit the number of people working from home on their computers because of the limited amount of bandwidth). I do log in after hours and do some of the work I never have time to do (stats, clean up of folders, etc). But I’ve been keeping busy, cleaning up, cooking new recipes and such. My spouse is ultra essential and actually going into work some weeks (alternating teams) so I’ve taken on some of the tasks he normally does around the house (dishes………the bane of my existence). We’re currently watching old 80s classic movies for fun and the tv series “Justified” (excellent show, like a modern western set in Kentucky). Just got the message from our Deputy Minister that our office isn’t set to go back to work before at least 31st of May (and more likely into June) but we’ll be starting to work from home regularly (and I’ve been told that there’s a backlog of requests waiting for me so I expect to be extremely busy in the coming weeks). Preparing mentally for a new normal. Also, I’m shoping way to much online!
Hi Elsie! I think we’re all swinging between good days and bad right now, so don’t feel guilty! Right now the things that are getting me through are ice cream, pottering on our tiny garden, sowing seeds, the ABM Podcasts, reading and crafting.
Oh please share your Halloween and Christmas planning, I don’t like to wish time away but like you say it’s nice to have something to look forward to!
Also, I’m so looking forward to seeing more posts about decorating the new house. I hope it’s feeling like home already.
Stay safe xx 🙂
No homeschool on the weekend and kids are allowed a bit more tv/screen time in the morning. Plus we do family movie night and some kind of takeout or pizza on Friday night. I still long for the weekend as my hubby relaxes (during the week it’s solid conference calls and work stress) and we just take it easy.
I came over here for a little Sunday night zoning out, which I definitely got – great choices! BUT when I read the “face mask” recommendation, I clicked on the link thinking that it was going to be a beauty face mask. My brain was 100 miles away from COVID at the moment. ha!
That diaper bag looks so amazing and what fun colors! My favorite diaper bag is by Dagne Dover. Neoprene is so convenient!
Watching the Goldbergs. It’s fun and lighthearted. Something about the 80s set design of their house feels homey to me even though it’s nothing like how my mom decorated.
Just picked out clothes for tomorrow and chose something that my child couldn’t pull down. Totally a thing.
Coping skills. I planned a Christmas-ish celebration. We called it Christmish. ‘Twas celebrated on April 25th. We did the PJs, the music, bought some gifts and made all the favorite treats. It was something to plan, look forward to, and then it made the whole day feel different than recent Saturdays.
I also recommend observing the Kentucky Derby. I am sad for the horses obvy, but I indulge anyway. September 5th, baby! Derb All Day. We have the ridiculous event on Tv, day drink (hopefully), and enjoy finger foods. I’m hoping this year to add to our Derb All Day festivities with a fancy hat.
Keep doing what you gotta do, sister. No shame in just getting through.
I tried your Aperol Spritz recipe yesterday, and it was so good!
Awe yay! I feel like everyone is going to have better home bartender skills after this year! 🙂
Happy “weekend” indeed! We also do pizza nights Friday nights, that’s been our tradition for maybe two years, so don’t stop now! Pizza night is also game night. With a 3 and a 5 year old, we love HABA’s cooperative games. Win or lose together!
Mom suit! Ha! I don’t feel like I need to hide my body, but yes, we do t need the children to rip anything off and show too much.
My coping mechanism is planning Christmas gifts…. Mostly window shopping but… I also have a few full totes in the basement and yes, my husband gets a good laugh. Also planning out yard improvements. My “Mama’s afternoon off” every two weeks also gives me something to 1) look forward to, and 2) get out and clear my head while I hike and sit in the car and knit 🙂
Keep your chin up lady! Your posts especially help me cope too. Small kids during a pandemic and quarantine?!? It’s so good to know that we all have the ups and downs and I truly appreciate your honesty and compassion.
Yes same! My kids will 100% pull my bikini top off every time we go in a public pool together. Fun times! :))
Sending you a big hug! You’re doing great!