French Toast Sticks
- 4-5 slices of bread I used an Italian loaf
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream I used half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon plus more
- Mix together the eggs, cream, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Slice the bread into sticks. Coat each pieces in the egg mixture and place on a prepared baking sheet. I lined my baking sheet with a Silpatmat. You could also grease the baking sheet with a little oil or butter. Don’t use parchment paper, because we will be putting these under the broiler and parchment paper + broilers = bad news man. Don’t do it. Unless instead of making French toast sticks, you wanted to start a fire.
- Not like that’s ever happened to me. I’m an expert baker and all. Uh….
- Now sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over each stick. Bake under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. KEEP AN EYE ON IT. Not all broilers were created equal, so watch yours and adjust the bake time. What we are aiming for is for the eggs to cook but also for the sugar to caramelize on top. Think creme brulee.
- After 2-3 minutes remove the sticks from the oven, flip and sprinkle on a little more cinnamon sugar. Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes. Now you’re ready to serve.