As many of you know, there’s a big football game that’s almost here. And admittedly, I am not the biggest football fan in the world (although I have at least learned most of the rules since marrying Trey, ha).
But if there’s one thing I can get behind, it’s big parties centered around SNACKS!!!! Oh yes. Sign me up. So although I may be more aware of who is performing for the halftime show than I do the teams playing, you can still count me in and I’ll be making queso. 🙂
I always hate it when a chip breaks off into dip, especially if I’m enjoying dip with a group of friends. But Pretzel Crisps are just a little more sturdy than your average chip, so they are perfect for cheese dipping!
I used Original Flavor Pretzel Crisps to pair with this dip, but I think the everything, buffalo wing, and sesame could be pretty tasty here, too. (They also have organic and gluten free options—pretty awesome.)
And I know some of you may be thinking, “I don’t have time to throw together a homemade cheese dip before a party.” And I get it. I stress before people come over too. Why? I have no idea. All my friends are nice people.
But here’s the thing, if you grate the cheese ahead of time (which you totally can so long as you keep it in a well sealed container in the refrigerator), this literally only takes about 10-15 minutes to make. It’s SO easy.
This is a super simple white queso dip that is totally inspired by a dip Trey and I get from our local Alamo Drafthouse. We are obsessed and I love having a homemade version I can throw together easily.
Cilantro and Cotija Queso Dip, serves 8-10 as an appetizer
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
10 oz. grated white cheese*
1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1 cup milk
2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno for garnish
Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps (for dipping)
*I used 8 oz. of white cheddar and 2 oz. of Manchego cheese for the white cheeses in this dip. I do recommend you use a blend, but you can change up the ratios depending on your preferences.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until a thin paste forms. Turn the heat down a little (to more like low/medium) and add the 10 oz. of grated cheeses and 1/2 cup milk.
Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk while everything melts together. Before serving, sprinkle on the cilantro and cotija. You can also garnish with the tomato, onion, and jalapeño if using. Serve along with Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps.
Note: If you like, you can swap out the all-purpose flour for an all-purpose gluten-free flour. Happy queso dipping to you!!! xo. Emma
P.S. Try my Rotel Cheese Dip if you love a good cheesy dip!
Cilantro and Cotija Queso Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 10 oz. grated white cheese I used 8 oz. of white cheddar and 2 oz. of Manchego cheese
- ¼ cup cotija cheese crumbled
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno for garnish
- Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps for dipping
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until a thin paste forms. Turn the heat down a little (to more like low/medium) and add the 10 oz. of grated cheeses and 1/2 cup milk.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk while everything melts together. Before serving, sprinkle on the cilantro and cotija. You can also garnish with the tomato, onion, and jalapeño if using. Serve along with Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps.