I am sure that we all had a favorite breakfast cereal growing up, right? Well, mine was most definitely Cocoa Puffs. I have been a chocolate lover for a very long time. Ha.
As a kid, probably my favorite thing about the cereal was not only the cereal itself (crunch, chocolatey goodness—yes! sign me up!), but how it turned your milk into chocolate milk by the time you were finished. Yum!
Related: Easy Popcorn Balls
I always find myself making popcorn balls around this time of year, because again, it’s one of those nostalgic childhood treats that I just can’t get over.
Using just three ingredients, you can make the most delicious (and probably easiest) chocolate twist on classic popcorn balls. These are sure to be a hit with both adults or kiddos; I know I loved them.
But, of course, I’m a member of the lifetime chocolate lovers club, after all.
There are a couple keys to making popcorn balls of any variety. After you make the marshmallow batter, pour it over the cereal (or popcorn) and mix.
Allow it to cool some (just a couple minutes) before using well buttered hands to form the balls. And yes, I’m serious, buttering your hands will make a big difference! It feels weird if you’ve never done it before, but it totally works.
Of course, these Cocoa Puffs popcorn balls can be enjoyed all on their own, but you could also dress up a birthday cake with them if you’re celebrating. 😉 Thanks for letting me share some childhood nostalgia with you. xo. Emma
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
Get the Recipe
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows (one bag)
- 11.8 ounces Cocoa Puffs cereal (one box)
- sprinkles (optional)
- On a large baking sheet with a lip, spread the cereal in one layer. Also have a small bowl of sprinkles and counter space covered in wax paper prepped.
- In a medium sauce pan or pot, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Use a heatproof rubber spatula or wooden spoon to gently swirl the butter all along the bottom and up the sides of the pan as it melts. Then add the marshmallows. Stir so all the marshmallows get coated in the butter as they begin to melt. Continue to stir occasionally until they have melted completely.
- Pour over the cereal and gently toss so all the pieces get coated in the marshmallow mixture. Allow to cool for a minute or two.
- Butter your clean hands and then gently press the cereal into balls about the size of a fist or a little smaller. Coat in sprinkles if using. Place on wax paper and continue forming balls until you’ve used up all the cereal.
This looks so delicious. I love to try this. I am sure they taste amazing. 🙂
I bet they taste amazing, what a perfect treat for any birthday!
Oh wow, this looks INTENSE!!! Haha. SOOOO yummy. I love OG cereals!
Eva | www.shessobright.com
I remember my child hood, muffins ware my favorite and still it is. My kids love it too. but you idea is fabulous. now i will try to make it for them.
Cocoa puffs were one of my faves too! That and Cinnamon Toast Crunch for my top 2.
This looks so good and definitely brings me back to my childhood! I so need to make this!
Oh lordy! I used to eat Count Chocula growing up. I was a really tiny runt kid with a high metabolism/high energy at that age, and one time I remember eating SEVEN bowls of it in a row before school…and then throwing up immediately after, being a solid 35 lbs at best, maybe? LOL. It never stopped me from eating it every day. By the end of kindergarten I think I was down to 3 bowls a day. lolololol
WOW! These are amazing, what a genius idea, I suppose you could use any cereal really, but Im a chocolate fanatic! Thanks for sharing
I was a huge fan of Nestle’s Milo balls cereals when I was a kid – basically the same thing as Cocoa Puffs! Dang, this recipe is perfect!! 😀
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog