To keep our Friendsgiving plates colorful, we needed something green to add to the table.
This salad features a few favorites including: crunchy kale, Brussels sprouts, and sliced almonds, a bright burst of flavor from fresh cranberries, and a whole lot of comfort from a creamy dressing and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Oh yes, this is a kale salad that deserves to still be on the holiday comfort foods table. Yum!
8-10 oz. kale, large veins removed and chopped
4-6 oz. Brussels sprouts, shaved and any too crunchy pieces discarded
2 oz. fresh cranberries, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
For the dressing:
1 1/2 cups mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
juice from 1/2 lemon
big pinch of sugar
salt and pepper to taste
You can prep most of the vegetables the day before if you like, but for me this was the one dish that I prepared from start to finish the day of our meal. It doesn’t take long to come together.
Plus, sometimes I like having a good chopping, shaving, etc. job right in the middle of frantically trying to figure out if a turkey is cooked through of if we have enough wine. There’s just something therapeutic about chopping.
You can also stir together the dressing the day before if you like. Once I have everything together and tasting salty enough, I thin the dressing with a tablespoon or two of water. But this is optional depending on how thick you prefer your dressing.
I do recommend mixing the dressing over the salad and topping with the Parmesan cheese just an hour or so before serving. This keeps the kale and Brussels crunchy (in a good way!). You don’t want to mix this together the day before.
Also, the cranberries will begin to transfuse their red color throughout the dressing, so you could end up with a pale pink salad if you mix too soon. Although, this year that would have matched our table nicely even if it would have looked a bit unappetizing.
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 8-10 oz. kale (large veins removed and chopped)
- 4-6 oz. Brussels sprouts (shaved )
- 2 oz. fresh cranberries (chopped)
- ⅓ cup almonds (sliced)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (shaved)
For the Dressing:
- 1½ cups mayo
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ juiced lemon
- 1 big pinch sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. You can prep most of the vegetables the day before if you like, but for me this was the one dish that I prepared from start to finish the day of our meal. It doesn’t take long to come together.
- Mix your salad ingredients together and place in a mason jar.. Once I have everything together and tasting salty enough, I thin the dressing with a tablespoon or two of water. But this is optional depending on how thick you prefer your dressing.