Of course, there are a million different ways to make different kinds of tacos. But imagine the most basic corn tortillas with seasoned ground beef, onions and a little garlic. Plus, all the toppings—the most important part.
This easy taco soup is exactly that in soup form. I am a soup fanatic, so this has all the flavors of easy homemade tacos and all the comfort of soup.
As the name suggests, this taco soup is super easy to make. You can customize it a number of different ways, especially through what items you serve on top.
I like to make homemade tortilla strips for this recipe (it’s worth the effort!), but if you need to you could swap this for store-bought tortilla chips instead. Other than this, my go-to toppings include shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and a little hot sauce.
The taco soup is made of onion, garlic, ground beef, seasoning (see recipe card below), beans, diced tomatoes, and soup stock. It reminds me of a soupy version of chili.
If you like this easy taco soup you might also enjoy:
- Easy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Creamy Sausage and Kale Soup
- Red Lentil Vegetarian Chili
To make homemade tortilla strips, simply pan fry corn tortillas in a little olive oil over medium/high heat until the edges begin to brown. I use a pizza cutter to quickly and easily cut the corn tortillas into strips before frying.
I generally use a store-bought taco seasoning. But if you want to make your own, here is a recipe.
If you make this easy taco soup, let me know in the comments what you think. xo. Emma
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ red onion (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 15 ounces black beans, drained (one can)
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes (one can)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup milk (whole)
- cheddar cheese (shredded)
- sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tortillas (corn)
- For the soup, begin by chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.
- In a large pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces while it cooks. Season with the taco seasoning.
- Once the ground beef is cooked (no longer pink) add the drained can of beans, and the diced tomatoes in their juices. Add the stock as well. Cook for 10 minutes until everything is warmed through.
- Stir in the milk. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- While the soup cooks, you can make the tortilla strips. Do so by cutting the tortillas into strips (I use a pizza cutter to do this) and pan fry in a little olive oil until crispy.
- Serve the soup with the tortilla strips and other taco toppings.