I don’t know about you, but I am still on the hunt for simple dinner ideas for chilly nights. So, I’m here once again to spread the good news and great joy of SOUP.
This easy hamburger soup recipe is on heavy rotation at our house this month, but really, is there ever a wrong time for a delicious bowl of soup?
Hamburger soup, as the name suggests, is made with ground beef and other ingredients/seasonings you might find in homemade hamburger patty.
I even like to add a little cheddar cheese on mine and serve it with pickles to really get literal about it. LOL.
I add flavor to this beef soup through spices and aromatics. This soup recipe has red onion and garlic, as well as a spices like cayenne and chili powder. So, although the flavor still feels simple and familiar, it’s not boring or flat.
I also prefer to make this hamburger soup recipe without beef broth or stock; I prefer to use vegetable stock to balance the flavors out a bit.
You can use any ground beef, or even ground turkey instead. I like to use a higher fat content type of ground beef, like Boston burger (it’s a pork and beef mixture), but if you want to lower the fat use something lean instead.
I think this hamburger soup is great served all on its own. But, you could also toast some burger buns or add some crushed saltine crackers as if you’re having chili.
Other side dish options:
- Easy Air Fried French Fries
- Best Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Green Goddess Salad Dressing on a simple salad
- My Favorite Broccoli Slaw
If you love this easy Hamburger Soup, you might also like:
- Easy Taco Soup
- Creamy Sausage and Kale Soup
- Potato and Cream Cheese Soup
- Red Lentil Vegetarian Chili
- Red Pepper + Tomato Meatball Soup
As I mentioned, I like to top this easy hamburger soup with a little shredded cheddar cheese, but you could also skip that and serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich for the ultimate it’s-cold-outside dinner experience.
Enjoy! xo. Emma
Love soup? Check out 35 Comforting Soup Recipes.
Grab the guide below to see our Top 25 recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- ½ red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound beef (ground)
- 1 russet potato
- 2 carrots
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes in sauce (one can)
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- salt + pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Chop the red onion and mince the garlic.
- In a medium to large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions for 2 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Then, sprinkle in the cayenne and chili powder. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the ground beef, and using a wooden spoon, break it up into small pieces while it cooks. Cook until almost no pink parts remain (but a few is OK as it will continue to cook some in the stock).
- While that is cooking, peel and chop the potato and carrots. Once the meat is almost cooked add these to the pot as well.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes with the juices.
- Add the vegetable stock, keeping the heat at a medium level.
- Cover and allow to cook until the potatoes are soft enough that you can easily mash them with the wooden spoon; this may take 15-18 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Serve with shredded cheese.