While it’s great to have some foods that are a weekend brunch staple (like this sweet potato hash), I like to have some faster options that are better suited for busy weekend mornings. One category that’s perfect for a quick breakfast are overnight oats!
You basically make the oats the night before and let the flavors combine in your fridge overnight so the work is done by the time morning arrives.
And since we are now residing in Elvis’ home state of Tennessee, I thought it would be a fun tribute to the King to make a peanut butter and banana version – YUM!
1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy will work)
1 cup quick cook oats
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1/2 ripe banana, sliced
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon honey
dash of salt
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
In the morning, spoon the oats into a bowl (or eat straight from the container!) and add more sliced banana and chia seeds for a garnish. Enjoy!
The salty peanut butter mixes with the sweet banana and honey and is a great way to start your morning right. I also like that the hearty oats and chia seeds help keep me feeling fuller until lunch time. It’s also really easy to make a double or triple batch of this if you are feeding more than one person. You definitely don’t have to be a fan of Elvis to eat this dish, but if you suddenly decide to listen to “Jailhouse Rock” while you eat your oatmeal, that’s totally up to you!! xo. Laura
For more recipes like this one, don’t forget to subscribe!
Get creative ideas for recipes, crafts, decor, and more in your inbox!
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy will work)
- 1 cup oats (quick cook)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (natural)
- ½ ripe banana (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- dash of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the milk, oats, and peanut butter into a container that has a lid. Use a fork or the back of a spoon to mash the peanut butter into the oats and combine it with the milk until mixed well.
- Add in the banana slices and mash to combine the banana into the oat mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients, combine well, put the lid on, and allow the mixture to sit overnight in your fridge.
- In the morning, spoon the oats into a bowl (or eat straight from the container!) and add more sliced banana and chia seeds for a garnish.
Note: If you are enjoying as part of the Weekday Weekend Challenge be sure to use a non-dairy milk.