I think of all the hair possibilities that are out there, my favorite hairstyle is a wavy, loose curl look. While I like that it feels soft and feminine, the curls are loose so it’s not as dressy, and you can wear it with jeans and a t-shirt as well.
It’s like the perfect cross between beachy waves and the signature Victoria’s Secret hairstyle, and it’s probably what I get asked about most around town or online. The secret is that it’s actually a really easy hairstyle to achieve (lucky you!). So you can totally recreate it yourself at home.
1. Start with your “best loose wave” hair. By that, I mean, whatever kind of hair works best for you to hold a loose curl. If I curl freshly washed hair that hasn’t been straightened, I will get curls that hold the wave really well, but they are actually “too curly” for this look.
You want loose waves, not ringlets. So I usually do this style the day after I wash my hair so it won’t hold the curl as tightly.
2. Pull up in a bun or clip the top 2/3 of your hair so just the bottom section remains. Hold a 1″ curling iron downwards and wrap a 1-2″ section of your hair around the barrel starting near the handle and wrapping down towards the end of the curling iron.
Curling wands are actually best for this since we don’t use the clip on the curling iron, but you can use an iron and just hold the clip open while you curl. Wrapping your hair this way instead of clamping the curling iron on the end of your hair and rolling up will give you a totally different result and more of a wave throughout than a ringlet at the bottom.
3. Repeat the process through the bottom section of your hair.
4. Pull down the next 1/3 of your hair and curl that section the same way, and then finish with the top 1/3. When curling the top section, start your curl around 6″ from the top of your part so it’s not curled all the way to the root.
5. Lightly tease under your top section of hair to add a little volume.
6. Finish your look by spraying some spray wax or texturizing hair spray on the tips of your fingers and run your fingers lightly through the roots and tips of your waves to give a more textured piecey look.
If your hair takes the curl “too well”, try sleeping on it for a night and that should loosen out the waves a bit for a tousled look in the morning.
You may even want to try this look on hair that’s clean and again on hair that’s a little dirty to see which gives you a better loose wave, but once you get the hang of curling your hair like this (if you haven’t already), I think you’ll love it too! xo. Laura
Looking for more hair tutorials? Check out our most popular hair tutorials of all time!
Credits // Author: Laura Gummerman, Photography: Janae Hardy.
That’s great. I’ll try it for myself.
Hi… lovely hair, just wondering do you wrap the curls all in the same direction or alternate them? Thank you x
Fantastic hairstyle… you have done a great work by giving us great tips.. I will surely try this hairstyle by reading these tips.
You are so gorgeous. I love that lip color.
Just tried this for Independence Day and it totally worked. I got a lot of compliments and it looked so pretty! Thanks, Laura and ABM team!
I do this too, only I keep the clip closed on the iron. Just wind the hair right over it. It seems like keeping the clip open would be a lot harder and result in a lot of burned fingers. Have you tried it?
Love the this mermaid look. What kind of braid would you pair with this?
This is my favorite way to curl my hair! It’s so perfect for the summer!
mine never turn out like this, but your look great~!
I wish I was this good – sometimes I can make it happen, but most of the time I fail at making my hair do what I want. Love this wave look though!
This is so beautiful. I can’t wait to try it!
?Do you wrap all the pieces forward, toward your face? Or do you alternate?
Gorgeous! and love that pink lip too!
WOW, I love this look! <3
Love this mermaid wave! Her hair looks amazing!
MISS LUCIA | Fashion & Travel
This is gorgeous!
Thanks (: xx
Alana | Life, Love And Lipstick
your hair is so gorgeous! x
Hannah | Heyitshannaah
Cutie tips! I’d like to try soon iven if I always put my head under water at the beach, lol
she’s so beautiful ♥