I have a bit of a one-track mind when it comes to winter as I can basically only think about two things: big fluffy coats and hot chocolate. Even if I didn’t have any hot chocolate in a given week, I definitely wanted some and thought several times about making it.
Since I’m doing a non-dairy diet for food sensitivity reasons, I knew I’d have to figure out a way to still get in a delicious and rich luxury hot chocolate, so I set about making the perfect non-dairy spiked hot chocolate and I think I nailed it!
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used macadamia nut milk for mine)
3 tablespoons chopped non-dairy dark chocolate bar
1-2 tablespoons of rum (depending on how boozy you like it)
1-2 tablespoons of the secret ingredient (see below!!)
Allow the warm milk to melt the chocolate and whisk to combine until it’s all blended through. Give your mixture a taste to see if you want it to have more chocolate and add and melt more chopped chocolate if you do.
And now for the secret ingredient!! My secret in this recipe is condensed coconut milk, which adds a bit more sweetness and a thicker and richer texture to your hot chocolate.
I’ve been putting it in so many things lately (you can even put it right into your coffee) so I think that’s going to be a pantry staple for me from now on! If you don’t have this on hand, your hot chocolate will still taste great.
This just kind of takes it to another level as far as I’m concerned … add the condensed coconut milk to your warm mixture, stir until dissolved, and taste to adjust the level as needed.
You may find that you want less of this if your chopped chocolate bar is pretty sweet and more if it had low or no sugar added to the chocolate.
Last but not least, add your dark rum to taste! You can also look for a rum flavor that compliments your hot chocolate for an added component.
I found one at the store that had some molasses and maple added to it and it’s soooooo good with the hot chocolate flavors.
Wow. That. Looks. Delicious. You can also get some marshmallows into the mix (get these if you are vegan) and once you get into your jammies on and snuggle onto the couch, well, that’s about as good as it gets in the winter months, as far as I’m concerned.
Hope this hot chocolate makes an appearance in your home soon! xo. Laura
P.S. Love hot chocolate? Check out Elsie’s Hot Chocolate Bar Ideas!
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used macadamia nut milk for mine)
- 3 tablespoons chopped non-dairy dark chocolate bar
- 1-2 tablespoons of rum (depending on how boozy you like it)
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetened condensed coconut milk
- Warm up your non-dairy milk in a small saucepan (don’t let it boil, just get it pretty warm). Chop up your dark chocolate bar into small shreds and add the chocolate to your warm milk.
- Allow the warm milk to melt the chocolate and whisk to combine until it’s all blended through. Give your mixture a taste to see if you want it to have more chocolate and add and melt more chopped chocolate if you do.
- Add the condensed coconut milk to you warm mixture, stir until dissolved, and taste to adjust the level as needed. Last but not least, add your dark rum to taste!