We are dog lovers here at A Beautiful Mess! I thought it would be fun to try and create homemade dog treats for my little Pug, Love Love. This was something I didn’t have any experience with so I did some research on the internet to see if the ingredients I planned to use where doggie safe. These dog treats contain whole wheat flour, oats, peanut butter and pumpkin. From what I read this is all perfectly acceptable. But I do want to note that these are meant to be treats and not a dog food replacement. Although there is some nutritional value in these they should still be given only as a little treat during their regular diet. Also, I recommend using organic peanut butter with no sugar added. If you can’t find this at your local store you might consider making your own, it’s easy.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (use another kind of flour if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup water.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Press dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Lightly flour your work surface (again, with whole wheat flour) and roll dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or the mouth of a small glass to cut out the treats. (Optional: apply an egg wash to the tops of the treats) Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
These will be quite dry, perfect for doggie biscuits. Store in a zip lock bag or air tight container for up to a week. My pug has definitely already figured out where I keep these. He loves them! xo. Emma