Getting really organized isn’t as simple as just cleaning up. And when you see these awesome shelves and pantries and closets on Pinterest, they all have one thing in common – matching containers and the feeling that EVERYTHING has a spot. I’ve forever been intimidated about buying organizational items because 1. It’s kind of expensive, and 2. I don’t really know what I need.
Today Clea and Joanna from The Home Edit are here to help us get past that phase with their advice for creative places to shop to get the best stuff and save some money along the way!
Here are five places that professional organizers shop, straight from the source!
We wander these aisles EVERY day. So we thought we would save you some of the wandering and point you in the right direction!
1. We LOVE adding glass jars to just about anything. Whether it’s to store food in a pantry or cotton balls on the bathroom counter, it gives a luxe look for very little money. Look for glass cracker jars, hermetic glass jars, or our favorite all-purpose glass canisters.
2. One of our favorite go-to tricks is to add drawer dividers to virtually every drawer. Whether it’s for one of our a closets, dressers, kitchen, or bathroom, it’s an easy and low cost way to organize your space. You can go with white dividers or clear, and for deep drawers, there are larger options available.
3. Finding a multi-functional storage bin that’s also chic is not the easiest task. So when we found the white Nordic Basket with bamboo lids, we were pretty excited. It’s so versatile that we’ve used it in everything from a home office with open shelving to laundry rooms to pantries.
Ikea is not just for college students… It’s actually a GREAT resource for inexpensive product, and it offers that clean Scandinavian design for a fraction of the cost.
1. For your office, or even an entryway desk, we love the Kvissle collection. Especially the letter tray, desk organizer, and phone charging station. Where else can you get so many cool items under $20?
2. One of the techniques we always add into a home is a sentimental box – either for the entire family or per family member. It’s a place to hold the birthday cards, kids’ drawings, or ticket stub you just can’t get rid of. The Tjena lidded box (in a variety of colors and sizes) is a really inexpensive storage bin that you won’t mind leaving out on your shelf.
The beauty of Home Goods is that it’s a treasure hunt, and you never know what you’ll stumble across. The downside is that we can’t point out some of our favorite finds! Here are a few things to look out for at your local store:
1. InterDesign products are a go-to in the organizing industry since they offer that clear acrylic style that has become so popular. The only problem is they tend to be very expensive. So whenever we are in Home Goods, we make a beeline to the kitchen aisles and stock up on InterDesign products for a about half the price of traditional retail.
2. Browse the decorative accessories to find some pieces for your bookshelves, coffee table, or mantel. They always have great decorative accents that will help style whatever project you are working on!
We love Target for pretty much all things – particularly the home section. Between their designer collaborations and continuous stream of new products, it’s easy to find new items to work with.
1. Do not ever walk by the dollar section! We have found everything from industrial baskets, to glass jars, to chalkboard labels, and baker’s twine. In fact, some of our favorite items have come from the dollar section, and when we spot them, we buy out the whole store. Because once they are gone, you might never see them again!
2. The Nate Berkus line for Target is an obvious choice for a home office, but the products actually work all over the house. The gold and white desktop accessories double as great jewelry storage, an entryway tray to leave your keys on, or a bathroom valet tray. The magnetic hanging chalkboard makes a great addition to a playroom or kid’s room, as does the hanging cork-board map.
3. One of the best places to find bins at Target is actually in the kids’ aisle. They come in so many great styles and have everything from stacking natural wood bins to gray woven storage cubes to wire milk crates. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, make sure you explore other sections of the store. You can also find great items in the bath and the garden section as well!
Sometimes you can pull together a whole room by adding a single item that gives everything a polished look. For not that much more money, you can find some great items that will make your space look extra styled.
1. You can find GREAT baskets in a ton of different styles and textiles. We love these metallic woven baskets that work great on the floor to hold magazines or blankets.
2. There are a big assortment of decorative boxes that are actually really functional for storing everyday jewelry, business cards, or office supplies. And for a set of three, these trinket boxes are a great deal.
PRO Tip: Shop in the wrong aisle!
If you’re organizing your kitchen, try the bathroom container aisle. Sounds weird, but you never know when you’ll find that perfect size container!