Hi friends! Here is part two of our DIY collaboration with Vans Girls! I love the nineties so I decided to create a pair of shoes inspired by all the beautiful parts of that decade! If you’ve never transferred magazine images to canvas fabric, it’s easy! Here’s how…
- Vans classic canvas shoes
- vintage magazine
Steps to Making Customized Vans
- Cut out designs from the vintage magazine. Keep in mind that the images will be flipped when you transfer them, so avoid letters and words.
- Apply a thick coat of liquitex to the image side of the magazine cut outs.
- Paste the images face down (adhering them to the shoe) in your desired design. Allow to dry.
- Once dry use a spray bottle filled with water to lightly coat the images.
- Use your finger to gently rub the paper off, revealing the image underneath. Keep in mind that this process is a bit mess, some of the image may rub off slightly as you remove the paper.
- Use another light coat of liquitex to seal your design.
- Elsie finished my shoes by adding drawings with a fabric maker.
Note: For more photos and tips for transfering magazine images to fabric see here.
So cute, right? Have fun making your own pair of summer slip on shoes… Emma
PS. See Elsie’s Vans DIY here.