Grilled cheese sandwiches are a timeless comfort food loved by all. I mean, there’s a reason grilled cheese is on just about every kid menu out there—it’s about the most simple and comforting meal you can come by. But have you ever considered taking your grilled cheese game to the next level by using an air fryer? Want more air fryer recipes? We have an entire Air Fryer archive for you!
Air fryer grilled cheese has become my own personal “girl dinner” in that this is pretty much what I make for myself after my son goes to bed and I’m tired and just want to watch some TV and chill. It makes almost no dishes and takes less than 10 minutes to make. Winner, winner, grilled cheese dinner!
Related: Want to up your air fryer grilled cheese game? Turn it into a tuna melt by adding my famous deli-style tuna salad.
- Bread – I love sourdough, but any sliced bread can work
- Cheese – sharp cheddar is my go-to but any melty cheese you like works
- Salt & Pepper
Add a thin layer of mayo to the outside of both slices of bread. I know, butter is more “normal” but trust me, mayo is best. Vegan mayo also works. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Lay one piece of bread, mayo side down, in the air fryer. Top with a couple slices of cheese. Then add the other slice of bread with the mayo side facing up.
Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for 4 minutes. Then pause the air fryer and carefully flip the sandwich over. Continue to air fry for an additional 4 minutes.
Sometimes the top bread will shift off the sandwich during air frying, so if you see this, simply gently push it back in place before flipping. No big deal.
Tips & Variations
- Don’t skip adding a little salt and pepper to the outside, it really does make a difference. I will sometimes add a few more seasonings like red pepper flakes or everything bagel seasoning if I’m feeling it.
- Add tuna salad or chicken salad for protein and make this more of meal.
- I like to add sliced sour apple to grilled cheese if I have it. Trust me, it’s so good!
What goes with grilled cheese? Soup! Here are some of our favorite soup recipes:
- Tomato Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- the BEST Pea Soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Potato and Cream Cheese Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Baked Potato and Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Making a delicious air fryer grilled cheese sandwich is a breeze. By layering quality cheese, spreading mayo for that delightful crunch, and air frying to perfection, you’ll achieve a sandwich that’s crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. Perfection!
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Add a thin layer of mayo to the outside of both slices of bread.
- Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lay one piece of bread, mayo side down, in the air fryer.
- Top with a couple slices of cheese.
- Then add the other slice of bread with the mayo side facing up.
- Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for 4 minutes. Then pause the air fryer and carefully flip the sandwich over. Continue to air fry for an additional 4 minutes.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.