This potato and cream cheese soup is the ultimate in rainy day comfort food! But, also, what soup isn’t? It’s super simple to make and only takes about 30 minutes or less. The final soup is silky, creamy and quite decadent.
If you’re looking for a light and healthy soup, this potato and cream cheese soup is NOT it. Ha. I feel like the name sort of gives it away. This would be a good one to pair with a salad, to balance things out a little. But sometimes you want something ultra comforting and that’s when I’d make this soup!
I feel like this is essentially the soup version of a baked potato—simple but oh so good!
If you want to add more flavors. try adding in some chopped fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme. Or if you want to add even more spice. add more cayenne or even other flavors like chili powder. Anything you might add to a baked potato can work here too.
Make this next time you have a lazy rainy day. Curl up with a book and some soup and enjoy the simple things in life. 🙂 xo. Emma
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these!
For more recipes like this one, don’t forget to subscribe!
Get creative ideas for recipes, crafts, decor, and more in your inbox!
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 shallots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 potatoes
- 2 ½ cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- green onions, bacon, or shredded cheese to serve
- Chop the shallots, removing the papery skins. Mince the garlic. And peel and cube the potatoes.
- In a medium size pot/pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the shallots 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown. Then, add the garlic and cook another minute. Then, add the potatoes. Season everything with a little salt and pepper as well as the cayenne.
- Add the stock, turn the heat to low, and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes can easily be crushed with the side of your mixing spoon.
- Add the cream cheese and blend the soup until silky smooth. You can do this with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender (just be careful when transferring hot liquid). Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with green onions, bacon bits, and shredded cheddar cheese—or whatever you want to top this soup with.