You can put me down as a “bookworm” all year round, but I especially love cuddling up with a good read once the weather turns chilly—bonus points if there are freshly baked goods involved. 🙂 So I thought it would be fun to put tougher a list of books I’m currently reading, just finished, or that are on my list to get to sometime soon (fingers crossed) in case you are in need of more book recommendations this season.
01. Before the Fall. If you follow me on IG, then you know I recently read this book and LOVED it. It’s sort of a who-done-it after a plane crash, although I wouldn’t quite call it a mystery novel. It’s also got some REALLY interesting side commentary on the current state of media, which is especially relevant right now as the USA (where I live) is going through a presidential election year. That’s not to say it’s a political book, as it’s not, just a super interesting and beautiful read that feels very on-the-nose for this year.
02. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore has been on my to-read list for quite a while. A weird, mysterious book store is the setting—complete with a new employee who begins to discover that the store may be more than it seems. You had me at book store. 🙂 Bonus points—the cover art is too cute.
03. The Girls sounds a little like it might be a kind of coming of age story set in the 1960s within a cult organization. What? OK, I’m listening. This one is making it on to my to-read list for sure.
04. I am currently listening to Rising Strong on audio CD in my car. I’ve been getting little bits and pieces of Brene Brown teaching me about shame and getting up from failures for a few weeks now, and it almost feels like on-the-go therapy. I don’t know if that’s a good thing, but it’s been pretty great to me. I randomly picked this up at the library, and although I am loving it, I realize I probably should have checked out her other books (Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection) before this one.
05. I forget where I first heard about The Last Boy and Girl in the World, but it sounded a little melancholy mixed with a love story—so basically the perfect novel to have a glass of wine and unwind with. There’s just something about the premise of the book that totally appealed to me, your town is being destroyed by some kind of natural disaster so you decide to throw a big party before you have to leave forever. Intriguing, right? I think so.
06. Modern Lovers is the book I am currently reading. I’m probably about 2/3 through the book, and I am already dreading the end because it’s such a fun read, and I have gotten quite attached to many of the characters. Plus this is the kind of novel that makes me wish I lived in NYC—it’s cool, guys. Read this book!
07. I will probably listen to The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo on audio book as I love to hear comedians read their books even more than I love reading them. I think Amy Schumer is hilarious and beautiful, and I absolutely LOVED Trainwreck. So, I’m excited to hear her book soon. 🙂
08. The night I got engaged, Trey and I saw Silver Linings Playbook. So Matthew Quick will probably always have an unfair advantage over other authors with me. But I also LOVE the characters who live in his books. They are always super quirky yet relatable, which I think is a feat to pull off as often as Quick does. For this reason, I am excited to check out Every Exquisite Thing, hopefully soon.
09. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is about magicians, guys. Do I need to say more? I fell in love with the Harry Potter books when I was twelve, and I’ve been a sucker for magician protagonists ever since. Probably always will be. And I’m not sorry. 🙂
Have you read any of these? Thoughts? Also, what are you guys reading this season? Also, I’m thinking about bringing back the ABM book club—you in? xo. Emma
Credits // Author: Emma Chapman. Cover art of books found via Amazon and linked throughout.
Modern Lovers was so good, it was hard to tear myself away! Highly suggest!
I think Amy Schumer might be my drunk-patronus. (While sober, it’s a platypus, obviously. The Weirdest Mammal.) I can’t wait to see what you have to say about her book.
I had very low expectations for Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, but OMG it blew me away! I also love any book set in a bookstore 🙂
I LOVED Rising Strong! But one of my all time favourite books is Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic. It was by far one of the most inspiring reads. I’ve read it four times already and will probably read it a couple more. I’ll definitely have to check out Before The Fall! I love books like that, especially since it seems very relevant to the current social moments! 🙂
I read “The Girls” and it was just ok for me. I actually enjoyed “What Alice Forgot” way more (if you want to add anything to your book list.)
Happy reading everyone!
Excellent round up! I have had Modern Lovers on my list for-freaking-ever now, and know I just need to commit to it!
– Dara || www.peoniesandhoneybees.com
I was just thinking the other day that I missed the ABM book club! I vote for the revival of the book club AND the addition of shirts!
it’s so interesting you say this, I also didn’t like Mr Penumbra and I usually LOVE anything bookstores. I thought the story ended kind of abruptly and disappointingly after so much build-up.
One thing about “The Girls”: It’s a very intense book. The prose is stunningly beautiful, but the characters are sometimes scary in their casual cruelty. The teenaged heroine especially is unforgiving of any insecurities of those around her – maybe because she herself is so desperately trying to assert herself. The descriptions of the group pressure that keeps escalating around the girls can be hard to stomach. A beautifully written book for sure, but also a difficult one.
Oh and I’ve been wanting to read Modern Lovers since I saw it on your instagram!
I adore Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore! I hope you love it, too!
Love the sound of some of these picks, Before the Fall sounds great – I always love a crime/who-done-it themed book! I can really recommend the Robert Galbraith(/J.K.Rowling) books as they’re along the same lines and I thought A Cuckoo’s Calling (the first one) was brilliant!!
The Girl with the Lower back tattoo also looks and sounds hilarious so might have to give that one a go!
They all sound so interesting! I will definitely try ‘Before The Fall’!
Thanks for the post!!!
Vintage Leather Bag
That’s a pretty interesting list, will get my hands on some of them 🙂
Jonathan Strange is a fantastic book! Beautifully written, exciting, and rich in detail!
I agree, I really liked Mr. Penumbra, a cute, quirky, quick read. An easy one to cozy up with!
Just finished Modern Lovers – so good! If you haven’t yet, you should read another book by her The Vacationers. Very similar vibe, but a different story. I just picked up Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo today and read the first few pages – it’s already hilarious!
Why not “Here I am” by Jonathan Safran Foer?
As a fellow Harry Potter lover, I’ve been wanting to read Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! Just finished Amy Schumer’s book – it’s fantastic which is no surprise considering how fabulous she is!
I’m about 75% through the Girls and it’s a lot more boring that I would have thought something about the Manson family could be. If you’re into teen girl angst this is for you, otherwise I’d say pass. Mr. Penumbra though was pretty awesome.
i just finished mr penumbra’s 24 hour bookstore and i LOVED it!
i vote a strong yes for bringing back the book club! i’ve been reading more again lately, and i find myself wishing i had people to talk about these lovely books with. 🙂