Chocolate covered cherries are one of my grandmother’s favorite treats and that’s exactly what this easy cookie recipe is inspired by! Get your glass of milk ready because we have some cookies to dip.
Related: The Best Cookie Recipes
The base of this cookie recipe is simple and could easily double as a basic chocolate chip recipe if you wanted. But I love the addition of the maraschino cherries here as they add more flavor and a fun pop of texture.
You could use dried cherries instead, but the softness of the maraschino (and sweetness level) is what makes these cookies remind me of chocolate covered cherries.
I added just a pinch of sea salt to each cookie just before baking but it’s totally optional. I just love dark chocolate and sea salt together though—probably my favorite dessert combo.
You can make this dough a day ahead and save in the fridge before baking or you could also freeze the dough if you want to keep it around longer.
I love an easy and delicious cookie recipe for when weekend baking NEEDS hit and these chocolate covered cherry cookies are the perfect thing to throw together. Happy baking! xo. Emma
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet are my favs)
- ⅓ cup chopped maraschino cherries (drained of juices)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Then stir the dry ingredients in with the wet. Stir in the chocolate chips and cherry pieces. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spoon the cookie dough. Bake at 325°F for 14-16 minutes in the middle to upper 2/3 of the oven. Remove to a cooling rack. Enjoy.