We just adore whiskey gingers during the hot summer months. In fact, I have been loving this cocktail for more than a decade. They are simple to make, refreshing, lightly sweet, and flavorful.
If you are needing a great whiskey ginger recipe to make at home, I’ve got you! I’m also including my favorite recipe, along with the easier/lazy way to make a whiskey ginger as well.
It is easy enough to combine store-bought ginger ale and whiskey for a quick whiskey ginger. This is the easy to way to make a whiskey ginger. And if you order this cocktail, this may be what you get, depending on the type of bar you are in.
Whiskey Ginger = whiskey + ginger ale OR whiskey + ginger beer (although the latter is pretty much a Kentucky mule, which is a variation on a Moscow mule)
Jack and Ginger = Jack Daniels whiskey + ginger ale or ginger beer
There have been times I’ve ordered a whiskey ginger and I got scotch and ginger ale instead. So, if you are ordering out and have a preference on whiskey, it’s best to just say so.
But, I love this recipe because the ginger taste is stronger and it’s not quite as sweet as using ginger beer. All you need to make your own homemade whiskey gingers is ginger syrup (recipe below), whiskey, club soda, and if you’re feeling fancy, some lemon or lime slices for garnish.
Ginger Syrup, makes about 1 cup
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
35 grams grated and sliced fresh ginger (see above for what 35 grams looks like)
Grate and slice up your ginger and set aside. In a pot, combine the water and sugar over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Now, add in the ginger and simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes.
Allow this to cool slightly and strain the syrup, reserving the ginger slices. Store this in a sealed container in your refrigerator for up to a month.
Whiskey Ginger, makes one
1.5 ounces whiskey
1-2 tablespoons ginger syrup
1 cup (or more) club soda
lemon or lime slices for garnish
In a short glass, combine the whiskey and syrup. Stir to combine. Add ice to the glass and fill the remainder with club soda. Stir to combine. Garnish with lemon or lime slices if using.
A whiskey ginger is a great cocktail all year round, but I especially like them in the summer. Cheers! xo. Emma
Looking for more whiskey cocktail recipes? Try these!
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 1 ½ ounces whiskey
- 1-2 tablespoons ginger syrup (see recipe)
- 1 cup club soda
- lemon or lime slices (for garnish)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar (turbinado preferred)
- 35 grams fresh ginger
- First, make the syrup. Peel and slice up the fresh ginger.
- In a pot, combine the water and sugar over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add in the ginger and simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Allow this to cool slightly and strain the syrup, reserving the ginger slices. Store this in a sealed container in your refrigerator for up to a month.
- To make a whiskey ginger, combine the whiskey and syrup in a short glass.
- Stir to combine. Add ice to the glass.
- Fill the remainder with club soda. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with lemon or lime slices if using.