My birthday is tomorrow, so I wanted to share my favorite homemade brownies recipe with you, as that’s what I’m in the mood for this year.
I love many brownie recipes—and in fact, I told about quite a few when I wrote The Best Brownie Recipes on the Internet several years ago.
These chocolate brownies are simple with only five main ingredients, and you can make them in just one bowl. They are fudgy in the center with that crackly crunchy brownie skin on top. I make these often. They are my favorite homemade brownies.
Related: Last year, I shared these birthday cake cookies, which are lovely. But, if you want something more adult, try this birthday cake martini. Cheers!
Homemade Brownie Ingredients:
- Dark Chocolate – use high quality chocolate because this recipe is simple (the chocolate will shine). My all-time favorite is still Askinosie.
- Granulated White Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
How to Make Brownies:
Melt the chocolate and the butter together. You can do this in a double boiler, but I usually do it in 30-second increments in the microwave.
Stir in the eggs and sugar. Then, stir in the flour.
Cover an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and pour the brownie batter in.
Bake at 350°F for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without a bunch of goopy, underbaked batter on it.
Tips for Success:
- While this basic recipe only has five ingredients, there are a few things you can add to the batter to enhance it. Sometimes I will add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder just to deepen the flavors.
- Before baking, you can top these basic brownies with nuts, crushed up candy, marshmallows, sprinkles, or chocolate chips. Totally optional, but makes it feel like a party!
- Whatever you do, I would sprinkle on a little flaky sea salt just before serving.
Need More Chocolate?
Here are a few more chocolatey dessert recipes you might want to try:
- No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Espresso Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Baked Donuts
- Easy Chocolate Oreo Truffles
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes brownies fudgy?
When a brownie recipe calls for more fat (butter or oil) than it does flour, it will likely be a fudgy brownie recipe.
Does the toothpick trick work for brownies?
Yes. But keep in mind the toothpick might not be perfectly clean as it may be for other recipes, like muffins.
If your brownie recipe is going to turn out fudgy (meaning the centers will be gooey even after baked), the toothpick trick might be a little harder to discern, but it will still work.
What type of chocolate is best for brownies?
Dark chocolate is best, so anything 70% or higher. Or, you can also use semi-sweet chocolate chips for brownies.
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
Get the Recipe
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 8×8 square baking pan
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together. You can do this in a double boiler but I usually do it in 30-second increments in the microwave.
- Stir in the eggs and sugar.
- Then, stir in the flour.
- Cover an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without a bunch of goopy, underbaked batter on it.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
This is the best easy brownie recipe and I’ve been hunting forever. Thank you!
Yum! I loved the simplicity and ease of this recipe!! I used Ghirardelli’s 72% dark chocolate chips and the final brownies were a bit too sweet for my taste. I added some salt to the batter, and sprinkles some flaky sea salt on top to cut the sweetness and enhance the flavor. Next time I think I’ll try a high quality very dark (80%+) chocolate bar instead! They’re *almost perfect*, I think my choice of chocolate is the issue.
Oh I also doubled the recipe and baked in a 9×13 pan, it took about 45mins (and I think next time I’ll give it a few more mins!)
My son brought me a bag of chocolate from his trip to Ecuador. I’ve searched for a brownie recipe worthy of these little chunks of deliciousness, and your favorite is now mine, too. Simple perfection!
Happy Birthday 🎉🥳🎁
I am allergic to eggs, do you think they can be substituted with something else? 🙈 Do you have a good vegan brownie recipe to share? Thanks! And happy birthday!! 🥳
I’ve made this recipe before and it was great: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/vegan-brownies/
I’d like to make this with my granddaughter!
Hello I have a question is there no baking powder in it ??
I love these brownies so much!
Can a diabetoc substitute xylitol for sugar?