Puppy Chow (also called Muddy Buddies) is one of my favorite holiday recipes. This recipe is made using only four ingredients and it takes less than ten minutes to make!
Did you grow up calling this recipe Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies? I think it may be a regional thing. I grew up saying Puppy Chow in Missouri.
- Chex mix cereal
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips – or peanut butter
- Powdered sugar – also called confectioner’s sugar
You can absolutely use creamy peanut butter instead of peanut butter baking chips, but I tend to use chips as I usually have them on hand (we bake a lot at our house).
How to make Puppy Chow
In a large bowl, add the cereal.
In a medium size bowl, add the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips (or peanut butter). Melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. You can also do this over low heat on the stove top.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir to combine. You want to get all the pieces coated in chocolate.
Pour the cereal mix into a large paper bag (like a grocery bag) and add the powdered. Close, and shake so everything gets dusted in sugar.
I like to use the corn Chex cereal, but you can use the rice kind or whatever versions you prefer.
Most recipes will tell you to mix this in a large (gallon size) ziplock bag, but for this recipe you will need at least two of those bags (or done in two batches), so I like to reuse a paper grocery bag instead. Just make sure if you are reusing something that is clean and free of debris (obviously).
You will want a plan to either bring this to a party, or gift to friends because if it’s just you this is a DANGEROUS amount of puppy chow to have laying around. Believe me. 😉
Tips & Additions
- I love adding Buncha Crunch any time of year.
- M&Ms are also a great addition and you can buy seasonal colors, like pastels in Spring or red and green for Christmas.
- Reese’s pieces is always a great addition but the colors are also great for autumn.
- I love adding candy corn to this puppy chow recipe right around Halloween.
- Flaky sea salt can be added at the same time as the powdered sugar to add a little depth of flavor. I love the combination of chocolate and salt!
- You can also freeze puppy chow after making and store it for at least 2 months.
My favorite flaky sea salt for this as well as to top cookies (among other things) is Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, as they are the perfect texture and flavor for desserts like this. Enjoy these muddy buddies whether you add to this basic recipe or keep it classic!
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 12 ounces Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz.)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a very large bowl, add the cereal.
- In a medium size bowl, add the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips (or peanut butter).
- Melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir to combine. You want to get all the pieces coated in chocolate.
- Pour the cereal mix into a large paper bag (like a grocery bag) and add the powdered sugar and chocolate candies.
- Close, and shake so everything gets dusted in sugar.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.