Alternative name for autumn: baking season. I love to bake all year round, but I tend to lean more into my favorite no-bake recipes during the hot summer months, like no-bake cookies or no-bake key lime pie. But once the weather begins to cool, you can find me popping all sorts of delicious things into the oven. Ha. I love this easy poppy seed bread with orange glaze. It’s got all the goodness of a baked good with a bright, citrusy pop of flavor from the orange glaze. The perfect afternoon snack alongside a cup of coffee or tea.
I love an easy quick bread recipe, like this poppy seed bread. It’s kind of like a rustic cake. It’s called quick bread because it is not yeasted, so doesn’t require any time to rise. You simply mix the batter and you’re ready to bake. Another favorite recipe like this is chocolate chip quick bread. Yum!
The batter for this poppy seed bread is filled with all sorts of delicious things like butter, sugar, and sour cream. You can also bake this in mini loaf pans, or a muffin tin if you shorten the bake time. This poppy seed bead is delicious all on its own, but I think the orange glaze really sends it over the top and it’s so easy to whisk together!
What are you baking this season??? xo. Emma
Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup melted butter cooled
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ orange
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the melted, cooled butter and the sugars. Then stir in 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and two eggs. Then stir in the sour cream and milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, until a thick batter forms (like cake batter).
- Spoon the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-48 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the loaf cools, make the glaze. Whisk together juice from half a orange (about 2 heaping tablespoons) with 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and the powdered sugar. Drizzle over the poppy seed bread before serving.