Today, I’m going to share an easy recipe for how to make homemade pumpkin pie spice. Yes, you can absolutely buy this spice blend at many grocery stores. But if you find yourself in the middle of a recipe that calls for it and you don’t have any, then here is how to make your own. Pumpkin pie spice is useful for so many recipes, not just pumpkin pie.
This is also one of those homemade pantry staples that makes a great gift. You could make a big batch and decorate the jars to add to gift baskets or give to casual friends or office buddies. You could also create a set including this pumpkin pie spice, everything bagel seasoning, pizza taco and chili seasonings, or homemade vanilla extract.
- Black pepper
You may also want to buy some spice jars with labels or make your own.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
In a small bowl or coffee mug, measure all the ingredients and stir them together.
Use parchment paper or a plain (clean) piece of paper to create a funnel to spoon the spice mix into your container. If you own a small funnel, that will work too.
Label your container. And you’re ready to use your spice mix!
Tips for Making
- Since you are making your own spice mix, you can slightly change or alter the ingredient measurements below in the recipe card. If you want to omit all spice, you can! Don’t want to add a pinch of black pepper? Up to you! This is your pumpkin spice mix, so feel free to make it your own.
- Grate your own nutmeg or buy some already grated, either works great in this mix.
- If you’ve owned your spices for a while, check them for freshness before you use them in this recipe. If the container doesn’t have an expiration date listed, give them a smell to see if they are fragrant in the way they should be. If they smell off, toss them and buy new spices before making this pumpkin pie spice mix.
More Autumn Recipes You’ll Love:
- Apple Tart
- Overnight Pumpkin Butter
- Apple Dumplings
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Easy Apple Pie Bars
- Pecan Pie Sticky Buns
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Martini
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl or coffee mug, measure all the ingredients and stir them together.
- Use parchment paper or a plain (clean) piece of paper to create a funnel to spoon the spice mix into your container. If you own a small funnel, that will work too.
- Label your container. And you’re ready to use your spice mix!