Carrots are an underrated vegetable if you ask me. They are flavorful, filling, and good for you. One of the easiest ways to prepare carrots is this oven roasted carrots recipe.
This goes well with any meat entree, especially beef. Or you could serve these roasted carrots as a holiday side dish.
Roasted carrots are very easy to make and take less than 30 minutes to cook. Try this colorful dish for dinner this week!
Related: I love this roasted sweet potatoes with whipped feta dish, and you could easily swap this roasted carrots recipe for the sweet potatoes to offer something a little different.
Roasted Carrots Ingredients
- Carrots – full size or baby carrots can work, too.
- Olive oil
- Salt – I like flaky sea salt best
- Black pepper
- Fresh herbs – parsley is my favorite but chives or rosemary would be great, too.
How to Make Oven Roasted Carrots
Start by peeling the carrots. Just like peeling potatoes, the goal is to remove any dirt or blemishes from the outer layer. You can cut off the tops OR leave them on for roasting. This is more an aesthetic choice than anything else.
Place the peeled carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over the top and toss so all the carrots get coated in the oil.
Then lay them out so they are in one layer, or as close to one layer as you can. Sprinkle the salt and pepper if using over the tops.
Roast at 425°F for 25-28 minutes. Use a fork to pierce the largest carrot to see if they are done; they should be soft but not mushy.
Sprinkle the chopped fresh herbs over the carrots just before serving.
Tips for Making Roasted Carrots
- You can cut the carrots into bite-sized pieces before roasting if you prefer.
- If you are using baby carrots instead of full size, adjust your roasting time to 18-22 minutes.
- If you want to add color and class, buy multi-colored carrots. Purple and yellow carrots? Yes, please!
What to Serve Roasted Carrots With?
You can serve this vegetable side dish along with any main course you like, but here are some suggestions:
- Stuffing Meatballs – a reader favorite!
- How to Broil Steak – bacon-wrapped filets
- Crispy Air Fryer Wings
- Italian Beef Sandwiches
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do carrots take to bake?
Full-sized carrots take 25-28 minutes to roast at 425°F
What enhances the flavor of carrots?
Fresh herbs like parsley or rosemary go great with roasted carrots, and for a sweet version try honey or a little brown sugar.
Why are my roasted carrots tough?
If your roasted carrots are tough, they are likely undercooked. Pop them back in the oven until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
More Roasted Vegetables:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
Get the Recipe
- 2 pounds carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (flaky)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Start by peeling the carrots. You can cut off the tops OR leave them on for roasting.
- Place the peeled carrots on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the oil over the top and toss so all the carrots get coated in the oil.
- Then lay them out so they are in one layer, or as close to one layer as you can.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper if using over the tops.
- Roast at 425°F for 25-28 minutes. Use a fork to pierce the largest carrot to see if they are done; they should be soft but not mushy.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the carrots just before serving.
- You can substitute chives or rosemary for the parsley if you like.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Love these roasted carrots!