Random fact about me: My favorite ice cream is rocky road. To be fair, I love a lot of ice cream flavors, and for the most part, I’m not one to turn up my nose to any ice cream. Ha.
But more often than not, if I’m getting ice cream somewhere with “normal” flavors or just buying some at the grocery store, I reach for rocky road. And that was the inspiration behind these rocky road cookies.
Related: Best Cookie Recipes of All Time
I love chocolate. I love crunchy nuts. And I love gooey marshmallow. So these rocky road cookies basically hit all my favorites.
These cookies are very easy to make and turn out quite gooey—almost like a brownie cookie. The marshmallows do tend to ooze, so some of your cookies might end up a little on the less attractive side. But, if you ask me, cookies are not meant to be a beauty contest. Ha.
These are best if you chill the dough for at least an hour and up to overnight, which is the biggest drawback. I know it’s hard to wait when you’re in the mood for fresh baked cookies, but I tested it both ways and these are better when chilled. You have been warned.
These would probably be more true to the ice cream flavor if I used milk chocolate in these rocky road cookies, but I used dark—love dark chocolate. But, feel free to swap that if you like. Happy baking! xo. Emma
P.S. Love chocolate cookies? Try my easy chocolate espresso cookies.
Get our FREE recipe guide with our most popular recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 10 ounces chocolate (chopped)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nuts (chopped)
- 5 ounces marshmallows (cut into small pieces)
- In a glass bowl (over simmering water), melt the chocolate and butter together. Allow it to cool, but not harden. You can also do this in the microwave, heating in 30-second increments and stirring in between.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar. Add this mixture to the melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Then stir in the chopped nuts and marshmallows. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Spoon or scoop onto a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Bake at 325°F for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a cooling rack.