If you need an easy seasonal cookie recipe one random afternoon (when you find you magically have just enough time to bake something), then I have I got just the thing for you!
These simple chocolate chip pumpkin cookies take less than 30 minutes to make and are the perfect autumn baking project for absolutely any skill level (including tired moms keeping one eye on their baby throughout the whole process, lol).
Related: Check out our dessert archive for more recipes.
Other than pumpkin puree, there are really no special ingredients in this recipe. For me, as someone who bakes fairly often, I pretty much have all these ingredients on hand as they are things I always have.
If you never bake, you might feel differently. But there aren’t any “weird” ingredients in this recipe—it’s super basic AND delicious.
You do want to use pumpkin puree, and not pumpkin pie mix. Pumpkin puree is simply pumpkin (no other ingredients like sugars or spices).
Pumpkin pie mix is just a couple ingredients shy of pumpkin pie, and although that’s great, it’s not what we want for this cookie recipe.
Check out 15 Pumpkin Desserts to Make This Fall for more recipe ideas!
Or you can also stir it into a chili recipe, or even mix it in with your dog’s food (we do all of the above at my house). There are lots of ways to use up leftover pumpkin puree!
This chocolate chip pumpkin cookie recipe is already non-dairy, but if you’d like to try making it vegan you will need to substitute the egg.
Here’s Laura’s vegan and gluten-free chocolate pumpkin cookie recipe.
I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips when I make these cookies. But you can use dark chocolate, chocolate chunks, mini chocolate chips, milk chocolate, or even swap them out for chopped walnuts or raisins instead.
If you are using chocolate chips, I also recommend topping with flaky sea salt before baking. I love the combination of chocolate and salt!
I’ve already baked these chocolate chip pumpkin cookies twice this month. Lol. I hope you enjoy these as much as me! xo. Emma
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the pumpkin, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and stir until a thick batter forms.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and lightly spraying with nonstick spray.
- Spoon the cookie batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Top with flaky sea salt if using.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.