Cumber salad is a simple, cold salad that is easy to make, and it’s flavorful and downright refreshing. I see this most often at Asian restaurants, often paired with sushi or Hibachi meals.
This is an easy, homemade recipe for simple cucumber salad.
Cucumber salad is almost like a super quick pickled salad, as one of the main ingredients in the dressing is vinegar. It’s bright, crunchy, and a great salad or side dish for lots of different meals.
What goes with cucumber salad?
This is a cold, refreshing salad that goes well with many main dishes:
- Homemade Sushi (or grocery story sushi!)
- Crispy Air Fryer Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Salmon
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you peel cucumbers for salad?
No, you do not need to peel cucumbers for salad. Simply wash to remove any dirt from the outside. For this cucumber salad, you may want to puncture the skin using a fork to scrap the sides. This allows the dressing to soak in more. But this step is optional.
What does cucumber salad contain?
Cucumbers, ginger, garlic and a dressing made of rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame seeds. Chives or scallions are optional.
I think cucumber salad is best the day it’s made. But you can store any leftovers in the refrigerator (covered) for at least 2-3 days. Keep in mind, the vinegar will soften and almost pickle the cucumbers the longer you store this salad.
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 4 ½ cups mini cucumbers (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (granulated)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- Rinse and pat dry the cucumbers.
- Use a fork to scrape down the sides of the cucumbers, lengthwise. This step is optional, but helps the dressing to soak in.
- Slice the cucumbers very thin and set aside in a medium size bowl.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the grated ginger, minced garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Whisk so the sugar gets dissolved.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and toss so everything gets coated well.
- Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and chives. Serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.