This chicken and rice casserole is one of those dinner recipes that’s easy to make, and at least at our house, we can eat the leftover for days. I sort of love a meal that stretches like that— it’s a real life-saver for this current season I’m in. Lol.
I like to make my chicken and rice casserole with broccoli, but you could omit it or even swap it out for something else like mushrooms.
I also like to make chicken and rice casserole without canned soup. Nothing against the soup versions! This is just how I prefer to make it.
You likely have already noticed I like to top mine with French fried onions! I know, it’s a little different. I feel like French fried onions don’t get enough love, as the main thing they are known for is Thanksgiving green bean casserole.
I like the flavor and crunch they add to this dish, but if you want to swap them out for a cup of shredded cheddar cheese instead (for a more traditional chicken and rice casserole), be my guest.
Do you cook the rice before adding to the casserole?
No, that is one of the great things about this dish. Even though we are making it from scratch, it’s still essentially a baked risotto dish in that you add the uncooked chicken AND uncooked rice to the casserole dish (with the liquid) and bake it all together. Simple!
If you love a casserole for dinner (and the leftovers the following days), you might also like:
- Rosemary and Mushroom Hashbrown Casserole
- Green Bean Macaroni Casserole
- My Favorite Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
I love to serve this alongside a big salad or another vegetable side dish, but this chicken and rice casserole is also a great meal all on its own.
If you make this, I’d love to know what you think in the comments. You can also leave a star rating based on your experience, which is helpful to other readers. Thank you in advance! xo. Emma
Grab this guide to see our Top 25 Recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 2 chicken breasts (about one pound)
- 1 cup broccoli florets ( chopped)
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup French fried onions (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- Cube the chicken breast (if frozen, thaw first).
- Chop up the broccoli if using.
- Butter a rectangle casserole dish. Add the chicken, broccoli, and rice.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken stock, milk, butter, bouillon cubes, and other seasoning. Heat over medium heat and stir until everything is well combined.
- Place the casserole pan on a baking sheet. Pour the liquid over the rice and chicken mixture in the casserole pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. During the last 15 minutes, remove the foil and add the French fried onions or cheese to the top.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.