Confession: The real reason I’ve had fried okra on my mind is because on the drive home from Nashville (from visiting Elsie) a few weeks ago, Trey and I stopped at a combination gas station/fried chicken place for lunch.
I didn’t get fried chicken BUT I had some delicious fried okra pods and a pretty great cookie. So, of course I realized I had to get my air fryer out and see if I could make air-fried okra asap!
I don’t pull out my air frier every night, but whenever I do, I am always happy. I absolutely LOVE air fried french fries. They are seriously the best.
And I am happy to report that although air fried okra is just a little bit more time consuming to make (It’s still easy! It’s just more time consuming than French fries), it’s 100% worth it. So good!
Looking for more air fryer inspiration? Check out these recipes!
- Crispy air fried chickpeas
- Air fried french fries
- Air fried tofu
- Air fried Brussels sprouts
- Crispy air fried wings
- Air fried salmon
- Air fryer toast
The key is, you want to bread the okra, air fry, then toss in just a tiny bit of oil, then air fry for a few more minutes. If you get lazy and can’t be bothered for the second round of frying, they are still really good simply breaded and fried.
But friends, I’m telling you, just a couple more minutes for a second fry and you’ll be so impressed with this air fried okra!
And it still takes very little oil (so not overly fatty like deep fried okra) and I’m also sure you could find and use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you wanted to go that route, too.
Grab the guide below to see our Top 25 recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 6 ounces okra (fresh )
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 teaspoon of water, set aside.
- Rinse the okra and cut off the tops and bottoms. Slice into pieces around 1/4 inch thick. Toss the okra in the flour. Then dip each piece in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs.
- Air fry at 356°F for 6 minutes. Depending on the size of your air frier you will likely need to do this in two batches.
- Toss the breaded okra in the oil (melting the coconut oil to a liquid if needed). Then air fry for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.