This post was originally published in 2012. Since then, we’ve updated the post with a printable recipe card as well as the photos. The recipe is nearly the same though, as I’ve been making this Alfredo sauce for years and still love it.
In one of the last kitchen basics posts, a reader asked about homemade fettuccine Alfredo sauce. I was super excited, because (1) Alfredo sauce is quite easy to make. And (2) in order to show my favorite recipe, I needed to make fettuccine, which means I get to eat a big plate of pasta. Score! I don’t eat pasta all that often. But when I do, it’s such a treat. A warm bowl of pasta is the perfect comfort food.
Alfredo Sauce, makes about two cups of sauce.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt + pepper to taste.
If you can whisk, you can make this Alfredo sauce—it’s very simple (see the recipe below.) The most “tricky” part is slowly tempering the egg yolk so it doesn’t cook too quickly. I also love how homemade Alfredo sauce has a slightly yellow color to it, kind of a butter yellow. It’s so pretty and delicious!
Other than fettuccine Alfredo, my other favorite use for this homemade Alfredo sauce is as a pizza sauce! I love white sauce pizza, especially topped with lots of vegetables. Make some pasta or pizza this weekend. Do it! xo. Emma
Grab the guide below to see our Top 25 recipes of all time!
Free Popular Recipe Guide
Our top 25 recipes of all time!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cream (heavy)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (powdered)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a small pot, melt together the butter and yogurt over medium heat. Whisk in the cream.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk and add a tablespoon of the hot cream—whisk together. This will temper the yolk. Now, add the yolk to the pot and whisk to combine.
- Let this simmer for a few minutes to allow the cream to thicken. Stir in the cheese, garlic powder, and season with salt + pepper.